First Muzzle Device

So I purchased a rifle last week with a threaded barrel. It is my first foray into muzzle devices, and while I know the .260 doesn't warrant a muzzle break, I don't want to run around with a thread protector for the life of the rifle. Can anyone recommend a decent device? Another thing is that it is a 22" heavy contour barrel. I don't know how easy it will be to find, but I would rather have something that is the same diameter as the barrel. I don't want something silly and huge on the end (unless it's a suppressor, but that will take some time) Can anyone help me out here?

A muzzle brake is not for everybody. An effective MB serves two purposes, reduction in felt recoil and reduction in muzzle rise. That's a shame if don't take advantage of MBs when you are already set-up. I am not recoil sensitive but as others noted, they are the best in recoil reduction. My first MB was Holland's QD 3-port on my .300 WM installed in 2003 ... never looked back since then. You have been provided with many choices, IIWY, I'd go with self-indexing type. I have this http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/bug-brake-6.5mm.htm on my 6.5 CM.

Below is Ross Schuler MB on my .30 Gibbs ($37 tapered to your barrel and shipped).

.30 Gibbs with Ross Schuler 4-port brake 1 of 3.jpg

.30 Gibbs with Ross Schuler 4-port brake 2 of 3.jpg

+ 1 Apa breaks. They really tame recoil. -1 for cans. I guess they would be awesome for out west. To long for hunting thicket and cumbersome in tree stands. Pretty fun sniping rabbits. You should invest the can money on GREAT hearing protection. I own 4 cans and they do reduce recoil but not like my brakes...I still wear hearing protection with all but the 22. (Yes they are quality cans from silencerco and griffin).

I am going with my personal experience. While they might help a little bit, it is nothing like a good brake. I am sure I am not alone in my thinking this.
But the pleasure of shooting without hearing protection is worth it in rifles that are not punishing to start with. I wouldn't want to shoot my .300RUM without a brake.
I have a suppressor that goes on my .375 Snipetac and also works on my .338 RUM. It definitely helps to a noticeable degree, but nothing like the brakes that go on them. You know a brake is working when you can spot your own impacts at 400 yards with a 16.5 pound rifle that uses 155 grains of powder to push a 375 grain bullet @ 3150 fps. With the suppressor on you will go cross eyed after a few shots.o_O
Gonna load up some 215 Bergers for my spotter barreled .300 RUM tomorrow. It will sure get your attention!

Like others have said, brakes aren't for everyone. You should try one out before you buy if you can. I got a free APA brake on a custom rifle a couple years ago and gave it away for free. I'll use a suppressor or bare muzzle.

I have breaks on a lot of my rifles...I remeber on my first trip to Africa many moons ago. I ask the guide if he had a problem with brakes..he said no tell me when your going to shoot...and I'll plug my ears. Heck he said your paying for the hunt--if it is in reason shoot what you want...on 6 safaris and 4 other international hunts...now problems

I have breaks on a lot of my rifles...I remeber on my first trip to Africa many moons ago. I ask the guide if he had a problem with brakes..he said no tell me when your going to shoot...and I'll plug my ears. Heck he said your paying for the hunt--if it is in reason shoot what you want...on 6 safaris and 4 other international hunts...now problems

HECKYEAH! 😇

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts