First Muzzle Device

Cagfd101

So I purchased a rifle last week with a threaded barrel. It is my first foray into muzzle devices, and while I know the .260 doesn't warrant a muzzle break, I don't want to run around with a thread protector for the life of the rifle. Can anyone recommend a decent device? Another thing is that it is a 22" heavy contour barrel. I don't know how easy it will be to find, but I would rather have something that is the same diameter as the barrel. I don't want something silly and huge on the end (unless it's a suppressor, but that will take some time) Can anyone help me out here?

I used a Hawkins two port brake on my 6.5. You'll need to have your gunsmith turn it to match the diameter of your barrel and time it. If you don't want to have a gunsmith do the install you might be able to find a radial brake, like a vias, to match your contour. I wouldn't recommend this route cause the radial brake will kick grass and debris in your face when your shoot prone. Picked up my brake from redhawkrifles.com

Brakes are horrible and many outfitters ban them. Set up your trust and get a suppressor. Cuts noise and reduces recoil a lot.

TIKKA 6.5 CM.jpg

Difference of opinion.

Brakes are a blessing. Even on mild to moderate recoiling rifles. I have/had brakes on every rifle I own except my .223.
I would suggest something like an Area 419, APA Little Bastard, Hawkins, MBM Little Beast, Piercision Muscle Mag, etc. A side port brake. If you shoot prone, radial brakes kick up so much dust/dort/sand/rocks, they are miserable. Get one turned and timed to your barrel contour, and they are nice looking additions. Fairly cheap, great recoil reduction, but freaking LOUD.

I do own two suppressors now. And, they are freaking amazing to shoot. I don't think they reduce recoil much, of at all. Quite a bit of difference when going from a 3 port brake to a suppressor that is noticeable. But it is so nice not NEEDING hearing protection. But there are drawbacks too. Weight, length, heat retention/mirage, cost, wait time.

Here are a few photos to help you decide.
MBM Lil' Beast 4 port
20190719_175038.jpg

Badger Thruster
20190518_103514.jpg

Hawkins 3 port
20190518_102829.jpg

Area 419 Hellfire
20190518_102100.jpg

APA Micro Bastard
20190518_101431.jpg

Piercision Muscle Mag
20190518_100723.jpg

Thunderbeast Ultra 9 and Ultra 7
20200329_093938.jpg

You are alone thinking cans do not reduce recoil.

I own three and they all do AND don't ruin your hearing and **** off everyone around you.

- David Bahde
An excerpt from Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, Oct. 2013, page 82

"I am a 3-gun competition shooter, and I shoot several rifle calibers with Gemtech suppressors, as well as .22LR on rifles and pistols. Shooting .22LR suppressed is great for training and makes instructing much easier without all the hearing protection normally needed during a day at the range. I was amazed by the amount of noise reduction using my Gemtech with center fire rifle cartridges, but best of all, I was totally impressed by the reduction in recoil which helped with the speed and accuracy of follow up shots. I totally recommend using Gemtech suppressors as a means to improve your shooting enjoyment for recreational or competitive needs."

Sincerely,
Robert Johnson

Is there any reason to NOT just run with the thread protector? Most of all I am worried about damage to the crown or the threads. Like I said, I don't have any real need for any device at this point, since the firearm will be mostly used for hunting. I figured a device at the end would be a better option for the health of the weapon than just the thread protector.

A thread protector's main job is in the name. It protects the threads on your threaded muzzle. Crown protection can be a different story. Just be careful and you will be fine.

Have a look at Pierce Engineering titanium brakes. Lighter and helpful to retain balance. I am sure they can make them whatever diameter you want or taper them down. Very happy with mine.

So I purchased a rifle last week with a threaded barrel. It is my first foray into muzzle devices, and while I know the .260 doesn't warrant a muzzle break, I don't want to run around with a thread protector for the life of the rifle. Can anyone recommend a decent device? Another thing is that it is a 22" heavy contour barrel. I don't know how easy it will be to find, but I would rather have something that is the same diameter as the barrel. I don't want something silly and huge on the end (unless it's a suppressor, but that will take some time) Can anyone help me out here?
Go to American precision arms and check out the little bastard Gen 2 it is self timing you don't need a trip to the gunsmith and right now they are having a coronavirus sale for the next 19 days there will be a product code and discounts sign up for their emails and they will be sent to you automatically
A78A1647-1D86-44D2-BC27-2E409D28F5FF.png

Last edited:
You are alone thinking cans do not reduce recoil.

I own three and they all do AND don't ruin your hearing and **** off everyone around you.

- David Bahde
An excerpt from Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, Oct. 2013, page 82

"I am a 3-gun competition shooter, and I shoot several rifle calibers with Gemtech suppressors, as well as .22LR on rifles and pistols. Shooting .22LR suppressed is great for training and makes instructing much easier without all the hearing protection normally needed during a day at the range. I was amazed by the amount of noise reduction using my Gemtech with center fire rifle cartridges, but best of all, I was totally impressed by the reduction in recoil which helped with the speed and accuracy of follow up shots. I totally recommend using Gemtech suppressors as a means to improve your shooting enjoyment for recreational or competitive needs."

Sincerely,
Robert Johnson
I am going with my personal experience. While they might help a little bit, it is nothing like a good brake. I am sure I am not alone in my thinking this.
But the pleasure of shooting without hearing protection is worth it in rifles that are not punishing to start with. I wouldn't want to shoot my .300RUM without a brake.

Difference of opinion.

Brakes are a blessing. Even on mild to moderate recoiling rifles. I have/had brakes on every rifle I own except my .223.
I would suggest something like an Area 419, APA Little Bastard, Hawkins, MBM Little Beast, Piercision Muscle Mag, etc. A side port brake. If you shoot prone, radial brakes kick up so much dust/dort/sand/rocks, they are miserable. Get one turned and timed to your barrel contour, and they are nice looking additions. Fairly cheap, great recoil reduction, but freaking LOUD.

I do own two suppressors now. And, they are freaking amazing to shoot. I don't think they reduce recoil much, of at all. Quite a bit of difference when going from a 3 port brake to a suppressor that is noticeable. But it is so nice not NEEDING hearing protection. But there are drawbacks too. Weight, length, heat retention/mirage, cost, wait time.

Here are a few photos to help you decide.
MBM Lil' Beast 4 port
View attachment 188749
Badger Thruster
View attachment 188750
Hawkins 3 port
View attachment 188751
Area 419 Hellfire
View attachment 188752
APA Micro Bastard
View attachment 188753
Piercision Muscle Mag
View attachment 188754
Thunderbeast Ultra 9 and Ultra 7
View attachment 188755

Agreed! BTW, nice toys.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts