First early season montana deer

Glad you are OK. After the first time we drove through NE WY and southern MT after dark, we tried to time it so we didn't do that again. Those dang mule deer seem to LOVE hanging out on the highways after dark.

No deer story beats my college buddy who was in a turboprop taking off on a relatively remote commercial airstrip at dawn. Six deer ran across the runway, they got four of them with the right prop. One minute he was looking out at the snow, the next half the windows on the right side of the plane were red. Barely avoided over-shooting the runway and crashing, making CNN is usually not a good thing.

Reminds me of something I said several years ago. My wife and I were headed home, driving a mountain road about two a m. I was in the passenger seat attempting to sleep.

Hard braking brought me upright and wide awake. A herd of deer was streaming off a steep bank on the right effectively blocking the whole highway. My wife was struggling to slow us down in time. There was a very nice buck near the end of the line on the right. The kind of buck we all dream about hanging crosshairs on. As we skidded to the right I firmly directed my wife, "Don't hit the buck".

Scored on my first early season deer in Mt. today (3/28/12) Average sized doe at point blank range. My load was a 2011 F-150 ecoboost @75-80 mph, 87 octane and several tons of muzzle, uh, bumper energy! Ford = minus $5345. Deer = totaled:rolleyes:...
rich

F150...! And your is probably black too..*sigh* Dont you know you get more velocity with a dark blue one?????:D

Good going on the post...bad going on the driving!!!

My daughter had one run into her driver side door last year. Not too amazing except I don't know of anyone else that's killed one in town....well, with a vehicle anyway.
Driving to an Antelope hunt in Wyoming, I came around a dark corner when the headlights picked up a momma racoon and a half dozen babies. Their angle of travel and speed combined perfectly with mine, and I killed raccon with every tire on the truck and trailer, my partner behind me reported "no survivors".

my dad saw one on the highway and it decided to wait for him to pass but little did she know he was pulling a trailer:D

thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers.jpg

Ok, I'll see what I can do. I think I should fess up here though! The truth of the matter is, the light was still bad at that time of the morning and I really thought it was a WOLF until the last second and then it was too late:D.......Rich

This thread will likely begin the discussion of the merits of 1/2 ton, 3/4, or 1ton, and does diesel out perform gasoline. If you add nitrous to your subaru will you gain enough foot pounds to make a clean kill. Hopefully, the humor means all is well on your side of the windshield. You had me as well.

HARPERC, that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I don't think Nitrous will help in that case, the small cross sectional area combined with the high sectional density of a Subaru will most likely lead to penciling! Sure they may have velocity but....:rolleyes:

& any fool knows a 3/4ton diesel will outperform the 1/2 eco-boost, there is something like 8 heat exchangers of various sizes (intercoolers) behind the gigantic (plastic) grill of my 2011 PowerStroke.... you want to talk about rapid fragmentation! Just like a claymore my friend :D that should get'er done....

Elk- very glad you're ok, but unfortunately this incident does "qualify" as Ford abuse... a reprimand of immediate repair & upgrade will be a mandatory corrective/preventative action. gun)

Thanks for the good humor, again, glad you're ok.

I know how you feel. Hope you didn't get hurt. I have hit 2 deer over the years and totaled one car and one truck.

joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.