Nebraska early season elk hunt, part 1

WalleyeGod,

Thats kind of the reason we do these hunts, its a long time from one hunting season to another, planning a hunt in late summer and then in the spring really help us make it to big game season!!!

Thanks for the kind words.

Kirby Allen(50)

SS7mm.

We are all very happy with the time we spend in Nebraska as well as the game we brought back home. As you know I am a whitetail nut at heart and its hard to do any serious elk hunting when your always chasing whitetails so this was a way for me to get one big bull and then get back to my passion!!!

I would agree, I am impressed by the performance of the 338 AX with Richards new bullet design on game this large. I would have expected the standard run 100 yards and fall over type of result. Its only one field test but it passed that one with flying colors.

Speaking of long range elk rifles, hows your child behaving these days, let me know,

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch,

Thanks buddy.

Ya the Axis will be a bit smaller then this but hopefully only by around 270" or so!!!

I suspect we will have just as much of a challange getting him on the ground though. It will be a good time. Think the 338 AX is enough for him????:D

The nice thing about that axis is that hopefully we will all witness a new world record hit the ground, I am only in the top 20 with this bull in SCI. Did I say "only", need slapping for that!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

BB,

THanks, WHen are you heading out here to do it the all natural way again. If I recall, your working on big elk #2 in as many years!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Slopes,

Ya my legs are still a bit rubbery. Need to do that about three times a week and I might get back in shape, hike that is, not pay for a hunt!!!!:D

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy,

I felt it was just best to come right out and tell everyone from the start. Living in Montana and realizing what "REAL" elk hunting is and what goes into it as far as time, money, physical and mental strain, I did not want to take anything away from that tradition which is truely an awsome experience and in no way would I compare what we did to true wild elk hunting.

I was however very impressed with the challanges we did face and simply put, even in a high fenced hunting area, if its large enough and the elk are handled correctly, meaning never, if a big bull does not want you to see him, he will disappear.

I just did not want someone on the web trying to say that I was trying to claim this was a wild elk so I eliminated that possibility right from the start.

On the bullet testing, I want everyone to know that I did test the bullets for penetration and expansion before I ever pointed the rifle at an elk. We still need to respect everything we plan to harvest as all game deserves as instant an end as possible.

That said, without hunts like this, alot of the field testing I have been able to do with the Allen Magnums would not have been possible simply because its to difficult and time consuming to get this amount of data on wild game hunts. There has certainly been plenty of that but just as much has come from hunts like this and it has been invaluable in my R&D of my AMs and has been the main reason for being able to release so many in a relatively short amount of time. All the big rifle and ammo makers do the same thing, they just send a load of gun writers down to the big ranches in Texas and let them shoot game for a week then use all that field data to tweak their products, same here, only I do the testing myself!!! Not big enough to be able to pay someone else to do it.

If that time ever comes, I think i have a pretty good pool of shooters to choose from !!:D

As far as the pictures, I am pretty sure I do not have anything Hollywood would have any desire at all to see!!!!:eek: Which in my mind is not a bad thing.

If I knew how to upload video I would do that but on dial up it a bit slow going I would imagine.

Thanks for the kind words!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Phorwath,

So far these bullets look very impressive. Richard is also working on a 250 gr version which he has been very happy with as well. I have not seen those yet.

For the smaller 338s, The Win Mag up to the standard RUM they may be the best choice. They should also work extremely well in the upper range of conventional 338 mags like the Lapua, Edge, AX and big Wby.

Kirby Allen(50)

Guy M,

I would agree with your comments. Just trying to avoid any confusion and telling the story as it was.

I have already heard the line, "You bought your bull".

THat is true, and my reply is how much would it cost you to hire an outfitter, IF you happen to get drawn in a prime hunting unit, to take you back in and harvest a wild elk since many of us do not have the equipment to get an elk out of the back country.

From what I have seen and I have looked around and know a couple outfitters here in my area, and the cost would range anywhere from $5000 to $10,000 for a 5 day back country elk hunt.

THen I ask them what the odds of shooting a mature bull are? They usually say "Very Good". This is simply not true. Yes, your odds are much better with the services of an outfitter but still, in my area, from what I would say the odds of shooting a mature bull, that being one over 6 yeards old is less then 20% even with the best outfitters. Now the odds of shooting a bull are much better but we are talking mature animals here.

Then my reply is generally, you would pay more and have dramatically slimer odds of taking a mature bull then with one of these hunts. Most will then come back with something like, its still better to hunt wild elk and I can not disagree with that one bit.

Still I am a busy guy as everyone else is as well if they are successful in life for the most part. I do not have the time this time of year to take 10 days off for a back country elk hunt. As such, this is a way I can do it, do it in half the time and still have a great time harvesting a great animal with no dilutions that its the same as a wild elk hunt.

I just wanted to make that point clear in my original write up. If you soak the wood before someone lights the match, the fire will not start!!!! Kind of what I wanted to do.

Thanks for your kinds words and reply.

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy,

only I do the testing myself!!! Not big enough to be able to pay someone else to do it.

If that time ever comes, I think i have a pretty good pool of shooters to choose from !!:D

Hell, I'd do it for nothin!

The slob locals have already been bullet testing on range cattle at water holes. They got another one yesterday. Was a 400 yard head shot. Rancher missed catching the fella by 10 minutes.:mad:

If I knew how to upload video I would do that but on dial up it a bit slow going I would imagine.

Depending on the media (tape, SD Card, dvd, etc,) email me I can arrange a professional to cut/edit etc the video into professional quality (depending on ol' Roy's camera work;);)) Gimme an email we'll see if we can help you out.

Thanks for the kind words!!!

Kirby Allen(50)
12345 (teh, why this?)

Kirby

Great story, as like always those are some fine looking animals sounds like you had a good time… Your Dad is a lucky fellow to have a son as gifted as you building him such nice rifles, you will remember these hunts with your dad for the rest of your life.. GOOD TIMES FOR SURE….. Larry

Joecool,

I am trying to talk myself into booking a hunt for Dad for a bull next fall. He hunted all his life for elk and only shot one good bull and a couple cows here in Montana. The bull was a 320 class 6x6. In the late 70s I can remember that dad had to sell off all his whitetail racks and his only elk rack to buy us three kids groceries. We were pretty tight back then. When us kids were born, he stopped elk hunting because of the time and money cost, mom and dad just could not afford it and take care of us as well so you know what went out the door.

Still went deer hunting around here, meat was cheap compared to beef, that was the main reason other then we loved to do it. I can remember taking my lever action BB gun whitetail hunting with my dad when I was about 6 years old. I can also remember every single deer I killed from my first one mainly because my dad was there for most of them until I got out of highschool.

Grew up not knowing much about all the material crap in this world, only that time in the field hunting and fishing and camping with Family was the most important times in my life growing up.

Hell, if it were not for my dad I would not be doing what I do today so I owe him much more then I can ever repay. I have built him several rifles and he for a man that owned an open sighted Springfield 1903 '06 with the mil stock cut off to sporter length all his life, they are like lamborginies to a guy used to an old chevy truck.

He is starting to get up on years abit, starting to play with that 70 year old range. I would like nothing more then for him to grab onto a set of 400" elk horns and know they were his and he would not have to sell them off like his first rack.

I guess the phrase, "Talk myself into it" is not what I ment to say, I have already done that. Just with the little one here now, have to be a bit more restraint with $$ then I did before. Still, hopefully in the next year or two I will have a report with Dad taking a good elk.

Growing up there was never a time that Dad did not take us fishing or hunting when we wanted if he did not have work or something other to do. Guess what I am saying is that I can never remember a single time that dad said no to use kids to head out and do anything with us because he was tired or just did not want to do it. That never happened that I remember. Not that we were spoiled, hardly the case, he just knew what was important in life. Hope I can do that as well for my kids.

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy,

How in the hell do you e-mail video???

I can build a mean rifle but when it comes to computers, well, stupid is as stupid does, and I am stupid!!!:D

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.