First custom rifle questions

I assume the op is in Oregon not sure what side but if your on the east side marc with Spartan precision rifles is a good guy.
So many great choices.

Newbie to the rifle building game but I thought I'd share my experiences so far. I have carried by Remington 700BDL in 7 RemMag through the mountains for 20 years and convinced myself that I was due for a custom. After a bunch of research and based on my ridiculously self-overrated opinion that I can build anything, I decided to go down the path of putting a gun together myself. Accuracy and weight were my priorities. Slippery slope on budget but I'll skip eating for a few months. Anyway my choices were: Lone Peak action (Mike was fantastic to deal with), MDT chassis, Trigger Tech, Proof Research Barrel. At the last minute I decided to change from 7RemMag to 7PRC. I started the ordering process over the Thanksgiving Weekend (Black Friday). Lucked out on an action and the chassis being in stock. The wait now is for the PR barrel (when I placed the order I was given a 4-6 month wait time) and who knows what that delivery time will turn into.

The bottom line is that I feel the DIY build is doable and will be rewarding but as multiple guys have stated in this thread, the devil is in the details (like which muzzle brake which is a total guess at this point). Those details would be answered by an experienced gunsmith. Assuming that at some point I can actually find factory ammo, it will be interesting to see how she shoots. The cost of the ammo might make the barrel break in, sight-in process, and practice a little painful and hoping the end result won't make me regret the change from 7RemMag to 7PRC.

Anyway, time will tell. Pros and cons either way but much less potential downside if you go with a quality gunsmith. Just my humble opinion.

What are your guys opinions on Preferred barrels? I have never heard of them, the only aftermarket barrel I have ever bought was a Bartlein stainless.
I only have experience with Krieger, Bartlein, Proof Research, and McGowen Precision barrels. I have heard excellent things from my friends that shoot Preferred. If you choose any of these, you can't go wrong. If you know you only want carbon fiber, that narrows the choices a bit (I personally would go with Proof there without hesitation). If you want a stainless barrel (you can leave it as is or have it cerekoted any color you like), then Proof is still great but choices are limited so take a look at the others I mentioned (I still used their stainless sporter barrels for my own recent custom build). If rifling is important to you, know that some barrel makers do both cut and buttoned rifling but I recall that others only do one or the other (McGowen used to be that way and only did buttoned).

For a hunting rifle that you're going to be packing with and strapping down and such, I would personally keep it simple and lightweight with a straight sporter stock. I LOVE my Grayboe Outlander stock and they inlet for all the best custom actions, barrel contours, and bottom metals. For the price, I think there's nothing better out there. You can spend more and get a slightly lighter stock from others but for me, the fit and feel of my Grayboe is perfect.

Speaking of bottom metal, if you're planning on a BDL style hinged floor plate (my preference as well), then I would buy a Hawkins Precision Oberndorf bottom metal. They are very high quality, the latching mechanism is excellent and will never pop on you, and the release is very nice and won't ever get accidentally bumped. You can get it in anodized black or raw aluminum if you're cerekoting to a specific color. Everything else they make is pretty rad too and I love supporting independent businesses like them. I'm also a Colorado guy so it feels local to me to boot.

Good luck and let us all know what you end up building! Lots of good advice here from everyone. Attached are a couple pics of the build I just finished earlier this month with Benfield Precision next door to you in Idaho: Zermatt Origin, Proof Stainless Barrels, Grayboe Outlander stock, TriggerTech Special Two-Stage, Leupold VX-5HD, Hawkins Precision bottom metal.

Attachments

• IMG_7845.jpg
    IMG_7845.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7846.jpg
    IMG_7846.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
In the era of pre-fit barrels I say eliminate the gunsmith and do it yourself. Its really not that difficult and to do, and you get a much better understanding of your rifle and what goes into it. Proof is already offering 7PRC barrels and I am sure other big names are starting to as well. Choose and action based on the availability of the barrels (personally like Zermatt/Bighorn), buy the barrel, a stock or chassis, bottom metal (if not already incorporated into chassis), and a trigger. Really the only gunsmithing required in a build like that is torqueing on the barrel and checking the headspace. If you don't have the tools to do so, you can go to a gunsmith and they will do it in about 10 minutes as opposed to having to machine and install an entire blank. Also if you decide later you don't like 7PRC, you can always sell the barrel, swap the bolt head if necessary, and go with something else. This way you avoid waiting on a backlogged gunsmith to build your gun, and the longest time delay would just be sourcing components which you would have to do anyways.
I agree with you. Pre fits are the only way to go. Lots of barrel options from shouldered to the ones that use the nut. Savage and Zermatt are great option because of the removable bolt head

Just a thought…Have you looked at APR rifles..That are great accurate rifles built with some of the best stuff out there for a fair price.I had 3 rifles built by a local gun smith that are great also but the price was a lot higher..I think they can build you what you want well within your budget…I've had 2 rifles built by them and both are shooters…Altitude in 6mm CM and a Ranger in 6.5 PRC

Lots of info for you to work through here and not sure I can offer any more. If you want full custom, go for it. I've got 4 custom rifles and I've built a few myself. Mine don't shoot as well as the customs. For hunting, they work great, but the limitation for me is distance. If I'm looking at a long shot, I trust the custom build more. I have been able to work loads to get better accuracy, but there is a difference.
So true!
One thing a "custom" gets you is a trued action and a properly prepared barrel from a blank (assuming you go to a reputable gunsmith). I never had to touch a top shelf action manufacturer's action; all have been properly machined. Given the cost, one would expect no less.

A donor rifle action can easily be trued. And a gunsmith will ensure the action and bolt faces are smooth and without machining marks which are prevalent on 99.9% of all mass produced rifles. Further, a 'smith will ensure the threads on both the action and barrel are squared. And most importantly the bolt is aligned with the action and all lugs properly lockup.

Further, nearly all mass produced rifles/barrels today have excessive free bore to reduce liability when things go wrong. And headspace is all over the place.

All these things reduce accuracy, especially when shooting long range...and your definition of long range may be different than mine.

By going the full custom route, you ensure all the fine details during machining and assembly are addressed.

And I think it does matter when shooting long distances and attempting to achieve the ethical kill. I truly believe the "full house" custom rifle built by any one of the reputable gunsmith's, both mentioned and not mentioned herein, will give you a tool that will allow you to take that long range shot with confidence as long as the shooter does his/her part.

I think your willing to put a big time amount of money on a rifle and for that kind of money your going to want the best smith you can afford. I used Long rifles inc. I'm extremely happy with the quality of work and turn around time. These guys are top notch. I had them do all of my work on my last rifle, barrel instal, chamber, thread the muzzle and install and time my break as well as blend it to the contour of my barrel and helical barrel flutes. I can't remember the price exactly but it's all available on their website and it's very easy to use and look at pricing. Not to mention if you call they always answer or call back very quickly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
I think your willing to put a big time amount of money on a rifle and for that kind of money your going to want the best smith you can afford. I used Long rifles inc. I'm extremely happy with the quality of work and turn around time. These guys are top notch. I had them do all of my work on my last rifle, barrel instal, chamber, thread the muzzle and install and time my break as well as blend it to the contour of my barrel and helical barrel flutes. I can't remember the price exactly but it's all available on their website and it's very easy to use and look at pricing. Not to mention if you call they always answer or call back very quickly.
Nice looking rig there! I like it a lot. What action did they build it on for you? I can't quite tell from the photo.

FYI Southern Precision is www.bugholes.com

Your link might take someone someplace they don't want to go.... grin
I had them build my first rifle, a 280ai. Greg and Russ are great guys to deal with and very knowledgeable and can keep you on the right path. Very reasonably priced and their work is second to none. They have a lot of the components that you might need as well.

I had them build my first rifle, a 280ai. Greg and Russ are great guys to deal with and very knowledgeable and can keep you on the right path. Very reasonably priced and their work is second to none. They have a lot of the components that you might need as well.
They have barrels for me also and do phenomenal work.