First Build Questions

I do believe there is value in learning to accurize factory rifles. But, true custom rifles built by qualified smiths are not just a bunch of components screwed together.

+1

Becoming a good gunsmith takes Time, patients,training,skill,attention to detail and a thorough
understanding of cause and effects in able to produce a quality fire arm.

Factory rifles are the most difficult to diagnose and fix because of the parts quality they have.

Almost without exception there parts are not perfict and machining is also not perfict so you
have to find the problem before you can fix it. Swapping parts is not the way to eliminate the
problems.

I would not recomend building a rifle from scratch the first time without this understanding first.
Hence the reason for starting with a savage pre build and using top quality parts.

I personally don't like pre built/chambered barrels but good ones can be found.

If every part is checked for trueness,squareness,fit and finish most problems can be fixed before
assembly and the outcome will be better.

Every Gun Smith started somewhere and grew to there level of competence/acceptance and
some have never stopped learning/improving because of there standards.

Start slow and grow

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

There are tons of articles, you tube videos, and DVDs that show how to bed a rifle.

This one is pretty good if you want to go all out... Stress-Free Pillar Bedding

-- richard

Thanks! I'll check out when I get off work!

Thanks 1SevenZero!

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but never worked on a firearm before. The only part of this that makes me nervous is bedding. I have a 22 mag I may bed in the meantime for practice. Feel free to PM a few pics of your .308, mind sharing who makes your "drop in" barrel?

Sorry for the long delay in responding (work). I had a 22" Shilen(brand) Chromoly match grade barrel with a 1:12 twist in a heavy varmint contour installed.

Thanks for that info!

And Rscott, that's a great article with a lot of detail, I've bookmarked it for when the time comes to bed!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.