First custom rifle questions

What is the difference between the barrel manufacturer threading and chambering a barrel and a gunsmith doing the same thing? Just wanting to understand
Good question. Timing is going to be one a smith can do where prefits is going to be luck the draw. You may not be able to tell. Here is some info on that you can scan through.

Good question. Timing is going to be one a smith can do where prefits is going to be luck the draw. You may not be able to tell. Here is some info on that you can scan through.

I shoot a origin and I can tell you that I have screwed on multiple prefits and never had an issue. The tolerances are tight and allow for prefits to clock correctly, I have seen where some people have claimed that defiance actions are not as tight, and I can see where that may be an issue. Not sure what experience the person had in the other forum but evidently mine is different from theirs. Thanks for your info

What are your guys opinions on Preferred barrels? I have never heard of them, the only aftermarket barrel I have ever bought was a Bartlein stainless.
Bartlein makes stainless and carbon. I had a few bartlein stainless that always shot great. My next build will with be a bartlein carbon.

I have one proof and had some weird experiences but it's shoots good now.

If broughton was still making button barrels I'd say try one but there are a lot to choose from
Hart, Douglas, Krieger, Bartlein, Proof Research, Benchmark, Shilen, Brux, Rock Creek, Hawk Hill, Criterion to name a few. Stay away from CA barrels

24" would be a good medium or even a 22". Me personally I let the professionals chamber the rifle and set the head space. But prefits are an option.

Zermatt are nice. proof make there rifles with that action. I've messed with them a few times at gun shops but never shot one. Seems really smooth like you could 1-2 finger run the action. I've yet to get any of my defiance actions to roll like that.

Stock- do you want a light gun? If it's strictly hunting and you want to hike long distances go light. Just keep in mind a light stock or chassis will make a rifle front heavy if you have a long barrel or heavy barrel.

Bottom Metal- do you want detached mags or a floor plate?
I will want a lighter stock is it will be used for hunting so hiking and packing will happen.

Bottom metal, I am fine with a hinged floor plate. Never had detached mags on a hunting rig so I don't really need to start now.

I will want a lighter stock is it will be used for hunting so hiking and packing will happen.

Bottom metal, I am fine with a hinged floor plate. Never had detached mags on a hunting rig so I don't really need to start now.
Light stocks check out AG composites. I love it and I have plenty of manners.

I have a Wyatt's floor plate on my .308 and a Hawkins on my 6.5 creedmoor

This is a ag composite with a 22" proof barrel

Attachments

• ACFDC2C6-8256-4EF1-89B3-E07445CA2AEE.jpeg
    ACFDC2C6-8256-4EF1-89B3-E07445CA2AEE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Bartlein makes stainless and carbon. I had a few bartlein stainless that always shot great. My next build will with be a bartlein carbon.

I have one proof and had some weird experiences but it's shoots good now.

If broughton was still making button barrels I'd say try one but there are a lot to choose from
Hart, Douglas, Krieger, Bartlein, Proof Research, Benchmark, Shilen, Brux, Rock Creek, Hawk Hill, Criterion to name a few. Stay away from CA barrels
Who is CA barrels? What happened with your proof barrel?

Like Stevenstl86 said there are a list of great barrel makers and stocks out there you just have to decide what you like and then roll the dice. If you are wanting a light rig to pack in and weight is a factor along with Ag composites take a look at peak 44 stocks. If you like the modular stocks there are some that are light weight also.

Last edited:

I do not remember if @Alex Wheeler posted it here, but as you consider your components for your build, you also need to consider the overall balance of the rifle, https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/threads/importance-of-rifle-balance.12513/#post-120195

If you are considering a Broughton barrel I know someone has 2 listed on the classified area I don't remember the caliber but they are sitting at Alex Wheelers shop

IMHO trying to put all the parts together yourself is going to take inordinate amounts of time and lots of frustration and more expensive.

Do yourself a favor and call the folks at GA Precision. They use top of the line in everything - defiance actions, bartlein barrels, trigger tech triggers, manners stocks., etc. I have 5 of their rifles in my safe - 3 for hunting, one for prs that I just received, one for ftr.

Lead time will be around 9 months and once you order it and give them a deposit there's nothing else to do. They also have some rifles in stock that are for sale. If you want to save a little money, look at used ones - there are always some on this site for sale.

The only advice that I'd offer is regarding the caliber. If you don't reload, I'd look at either the 6.5 prc or 300 prc - inherently accurate and lots of off the shelf ammo.

Good luck

Buy one of these, you pick the model. Shoot a 1000 rounds through it. Decide what you like or don't like. If you like it, you're good. If not, trip it, build what you want with knowledge you acquired shooting this one.

Recent Posts