First custom rifle questions

huntoregon

Hey guys I have never had a full custom rifle built and I am wanting to go ahead on a build soon. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me on.

What is typical turn around time on a custom rifle from a good gunsmith?
How do you select parts or do you just take builders word/experience?
What kind of price range would you guys feel is fair for a full custom?
Can you guys recommend any specific smiths that would be worth a call?
Are there any places that may have custom build rifles on the shelf, almost like a spec rifle?

What I am wanting to build is a 7 PRC for deer and elk. And if I ever get lucky enough to draw an antelope, sheep, or goat tag I could use it also. It will be primarily a hunting rifle. I have very basic reloading knowledge and experience so I would like something that could potentially shoot factory ammo in case I can not work up a load. I have no idea what action would suit my needs, I read these forums and everyone has their own opinion and it sounds like every brand aftermarket action is talked about good and bad. Weight would be nice to keep down for packing. I would like to keep the budget $4-$5k tops for the rifle without scope.

Let me know what you guys think and or recommend. Any ideas appreciated.

Turn around times are random based on components. Ask your gunsmith for an estimate. TS customs built me a gun in 4 months. And I've waited 14 months for another build by Hells Canyon Armory. Both shot great.

I would say get a steel action with integrated lugs first and foremost. Titanium is cool, but not worth it. I like the Lone Peak Fuzion's with alpine cut. But ask your smith what he likes.

$4500-5500 with steel action and carbon barrel.

TS Customs and @Flatline_Ty both have EXCELLENT communication and are great to talk about builds with.

7PRC would be a great cartridge but getting brass and/or factory ammo could be a timely process. But if you start the build, you have roughly 6 months to round components up.

Your price range is very good. Rely on your research or the smiths recommendations. Most smiths will get you a discount on actions. I used defiance for the last two, I'm too cheap to buy TI or carbon barrels. I really like Karl at Kampfeld Customs in Idaho. Excellent communication with timely phenomenal work, and he builds hunting rifles for hunters. His brake was as effective as a four port MBM on my Edge.

In the era of pre-fit barrels I say eliminate the gunsmith and do it yourself. Its really not that difficult and to do, and you get a much better understanding of your rifle and what goes into it. Proof is already offering 7PRC barrels and I am sure other big names are starting to as well. Choose and action based on the availability of the barrels (personally like Zermatt/Bighorn), buy the barrel, a stock or chassis, bottom metal (if not already incorporated into chassis), and a trigger. Really the only gunsmithing required in a build like that is torqueing on the barrel and checking the headspace. If you don't have the tools to do so, you can go to a gunsmith and they will do it in about 10 minutes as opposed to having to machine and install an entire blank. Also if you decide later you don't like 7PRC, you can always sell the barrel, swap the bolt head if necessary, and go with something else. This way you avoid waiting on a backlogged gunsmith to build your gun, and the longest time delay would just be sourcing components which you would have to do anyways.

I've had same hunting smith for years. I lay out my end goals then I let him lay out options caliber and all and take him at his words. Hasn't failed me yet.

Another smith I use is caliber specific. Has nothing to do with hunting but shooting bullets in different calibers at max SPEED and ACCURACY. I also take him at his word and hasn't failed me yet.

Just know your goals and a good smith will help get you to those goals.

Hey guys I have never had a full custom rifle built and I am wanting to go ahead on a build soon. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me on.

It depends on the gunsmith's workload when you place your order. If you order your components, it saves any possible stovepiping delays from a gunsmith.
Parts selection depends on your experience level and budget. I firmly believe in establishing a good working relationship with a gunsmith. I am fortunate to have access to about 8-10 reputable gunsmiths within an hour's drive, one of which is 2 miles from my house. My go-to gunsmith since 2003 is 20 minutes out. Once you have picked a reputable gunsmith, consult about your build but purchase those components yourself to alleviate any stovepiping delays from your gunsmith unless they are parts on hand that the gunsmith already has.
Are there any places that may have custom build rifles on the shelf, almost like a spec rifle?
Your $4-5K budget is a good start but depends on components, i.e., action from $1-2K+ (steel, titanium, light), barrel $400-800+ (steel vs. carbon), stock ($400-1.5K), gunsmith fees, etc. If you have a reputable gunsmith near you that you can drive up to, that would be my recommendation. If not, LRH site sponsors and LRH members' recommendations are excellent sources.
What I am wanting to build is a 7 PRC for deer and elk. And if I ever get lucky enough to draw an antelope, sheep, or goat tag I could use it also. It will be primarily a hunting rifle. I have very basic reloading knowledge and experience so I would like something that could potentially shoot factory ammo in case I can not work up a load. I have no idea what action would suit my needs, I read these forums and everyone has their own opinion and it sounds like every brand aftermarket action is talked about good and bad. Weight would be nice to keep down for packing.
You will need to research and synthesize the information being presented to you. We all have varying opinions and experiences. Because you picked a 7 PRC, I highly recommend @Alex Wheeler (https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/); he figured out the problem and formulated a solution to the .300 PRC issue, in case he foresees any problems with the 7 PRC other than the availability of brass at the moment. Good luck!

Ed

Like Brcfo stated you can do your own and save some money. I also use a big horn action, but you can get other custom actions that have tight tolerances and you can order pre-fit barrels from proof research, preferred barrels, and you can order a pre-fit for gunsmiths to fit your action. Decide on your stock and trigger and you are done with minimal tools, action wrench, barrel vise, torque wrench, and a punch. The benefits of doing it this way is you will be able to order and swap out barrels yourself and have a different caliber. I use big horn actions so I can change my bolt heads to be able to go from magnum calibers to standard calibers. When I did my most recent custom I spent around $3000 w/o scope going this route. If you want to go with a gunsmith look at Flat Creek or Southern Precision (bugholes.com). With custom rifles you would benefit getting into handloading

Last edited:
I just went through this for my first full custom. You are doing the right thing by asking highly experienced members here. I gave the prefit barrel and build my own a little thought. I decided to find the best GS in my area and allow them to apply their experience and skill to build my first full custom. I sourced the barrel and stock, but had the GS source the action and other components. The conversations with the GS were priceless when discussing options and ideas due to my lack of experience.
Budget: you should be in the ball-park.
Timeline: Most of the best GS's have high demand. My GS was up front with their estimated timeline. It was a total of 10 months to get the finished rifle. This timeline was impacted by special ordering the action and delays in Hawkins producing mags for Hunter DBM.
This should be a fun project. I know it was for me. I spent a significant amount of time on controlling weight on my build. In the end I wanted a 8.5# ready to hunt rifle. I was able to achieve this with carefully sourcing components.

Like Brcfo stated you can do your own and save some money. I also use a big horn action, but you can get other custom actions that have tight tolerances and you can order pre-fit barrels from proof research, preferred barrels, and you can order a pre-fit for gunsmiths to fit your action. Decide on your stock and trigger and you are done with minimal tools, action wrench, barrel vise, torque wrench, and a punch. The benefits of doing it this way is you will be able to order and swap out barrels yourself and have a different caliber. I use big horn actions so I can change my bolt heads to be able to go from magnum calibers to standard calibers. When I did my most recent custom I spent around $3000 w/o scope going this route. If you want to go with a gunsmith look at Flat Creek or Southern Precision (bungholes.com). With custom rifles you would benefit getting into handloading
FYI Southern Precision is www.bugholes.com

Your link might take someone someplace they don't want to go.... grin

What I am wanting to build is a 7 PRC for deer and elk. And if I ever get lucky enough to draw an antelope, sheep, or goat tag I could use it also. It will be primarily a hunting rifle. I have very basic reloading knowledge and experience so I would like something that could potentially shoot factory ammo in case I can not work up a load. I have no idea what action would suit my needs, I read these forums and everyone has their own opinion and it sounds like every brand aftermarket action is talked about good and bad. Weight would be nice to keep down for packing. I would like to keep the budget $4-$5k tops for the rifle without scope.

Let me know what you guys think and or recommend. Any ideas appreciated.
Call Clayton Smith at West Texas Ordnance. Great guy to work with and can build anything you want.

I just went through this myself and asked all these same questions a little over a year ago. Here's what I learned and what I ended up doing:
Zermatt Arms/Bighorn Origin Action, Grayboe stock, Trigger Tech Trigger, Proof Barrels, Hawkins Precision BDL bottom metal, Leupold VX-5: 8.5 lbs total

1. Budget and Timeline: Your budget is excellent and very realistic. You should easily be able to stay at or just under $4k. My project basically took an entire year because of how long I had to wait for the action (several months) and other components (the trigger was easy but I had to wait some time for the stock and bottom metal too).

2. I worked with a Gunsmith for all the reasons stated above, but primarily because of my own personal lack of knowledge and experience in building a traditional custom backcountry hunting rifle while trying to keep weight down. Now that I know what I know, I might do exactly what @brcfo_outdoors suggests but I found having a trusted smith there to ask questions of and get advice from incredibly valuable. I wanted to source all of my own components because I love learning about everything but I'm also particular. As I did research and had questions (particularly on action choice), my gunsmith was always there with excellent perspective. I worked with Chris Benfield at Benfield Precision in Idaho. He only takes on a few projects each year so that he can focus on your build. I sent all my components to him as I purchased them but he was more than happy to do all that work too if you don't want to.

3. Action choice: This was the hardest part for me. Because I wanted a dedicated hunting rig, I eliminated all the very expensive actions and I didn't feel titanium was worth the cost to save the weight. If I had unlimited funds or didn't care about cost, I might have considered it. I knew I wanted the option of changing barrels and having the flexibility to explore other cartridges down the road. I didn't want to have my gunsmith do too much custom work or milling on the stock so I looked at actions that were cloned or at least based on the Remington 700. For around $1,000 I had two excellent options that I narrowed my choices down to: the Zermatt/Bighorn Origin Action and the Kelbly Atlas. There are differences between the two for feeding and ejection but both are excellent options. I chose the Origin in a long action because I liked the controlled round feed, manual ejection, and because I knew I would want to swap barrels between .280 AI and .300 Win mag. There are great options for prefits for me to play with in the future should I want any other long action caliber to @brcfo_outdoors points above. Getting yourself a barrel vise and good torque wrench is easy and Zermatt will send you the action wrench. The Kelbly is also a great choice for switching barrels and you can find prefits for them too (although I think Kelbly is no longer making them for their actions in house). The difference there is that I would have had to buy an entirely separate bolt to go between standard and magnum and Zermatt has a clever way of easily swapping the bolt head out (it's too-less and only takes a minute). Far less expensive than an entire bolt, but not so much that I could easily dismiss the Kelbly. Ultimately for me it was a combination of cost (Atlas is a $200 more plus the added cost of buying a second bolt), barrel choices, and my preference on feeding/ejection mechanisms. Weight differences between the too were negligible.

4. Stock: I spent some time on this one too because I wanted a traditional sporter stock profile and I like the dry and textured feel of composite/kevlar fiber stock over the slippery carbon fiber stocks. I had to sacrifice some weight because of this but I am very happy with the Grayboe Outlander and their quality is incredible. They also have a great website and ordering system with all the detailed inletting options ready for you to choose from so your stock arrives truly custom fit and ready to drop your barreled action into.

5. Barrels: You can't really go wrong here as long as you are selecting a quality barrel maker. You'll have to decide if you want carbon fiber or stainless (you can have it cerekoted to any color you like). This is another area where your gunsmith will be invaluable and likely has personal preferences.

If you decide to not go with a gunsmith, another option would be purchasing a barreled action. Altus, Patriot Valley, Southern Precision, and Northland all sell these. Then you can just source your trigger, stock or chassis, and bottom metal to build it yourself. A gunsmith is still good to work with here just to make sure everything is timed and your trigger pull weight is where you want it assuming you don't have a gauge of your own (they're not expensive though). At the very least, you might find peace of mind by paying a good smith to look over your work. If you're going to get into hand loading seriously and you probably should if you're set on that caliber, having a gunsmith chamber your barrel to your action is still a better option. They will have the proper reamers to ensure you have the space you need to experiment with the Cartridge Over All Length (COAL).

If you want to shave a few pesos off the project and don't care about getting your accuracy under 1/2" MOA and choosing every single component, there are some excellent semi-custom builds out there with complete rifles for sale. I like what the boys over at Red Hawk Rifles (also a good resource for buying components and actions) are doing here: https://redhawkrifles.com/proof-research-5/ Your issue will be finding a complete rifle in that caliber - it's probably not popular enough to see in some of the more affordable options like this Red Hawk Proof rifle build. You can go to Gunwerks or AllTerra and get one but they are expensive and I think you would enjoy building your own more. You'll have more control over everything and you'll stay within your budget too.

It may not be custom, but if your budget shrinks, it's worth looking at Bergara Premier, Christensen Arms, and some of the other production options out there. A good gunsmith can also work wonders with a Tikka T3 donor rifle. You could source a nice used one for like $650 and have your gunsmith customize everything else for you. Even with chambering a match grade barrel and upgrading trigger springs, the bolt stop, bottom metal, etc. you're probably clocking in around $2,000 before adding the optic in.

Good luck! You'll have fun no matter what but if you want it for the 2023 fall hunting season, you better decide now - even then timing could be tight unless you find someone with the action you want in stock.

Last edited: