First custom rifle questions

So I see a few guys here recommend the Zermatt Bighorn action. I tried to do some searching on this action and turned up nothing? I found an SR3 and the Origin but no Bighorn is that obsolete now?

Sorry for the amateur questions, but you guys also mention swapping out barrels. How do I know which actions this with be compatible with? And for barrels I can just search and do some research on pre-fit barrels?

So I see a few guys here recommend the Zermatt Bighorn action. I tried to do some searching on this action and turned up nothing? I found an SR3 and the Origin but no Bighorn is that obsolete now?

Sorry for the amateur questions, but you guys also mention swapping out barrels. How do I know which actions this with be compatible with? And for barrels I can just search and do some research on pre-fit barrels?
Big Horn Arms partnered with Zermatt Arms (https://www.zermattarms.com/), and they manufacture the TL3, SR3, Ti3, and Origin.

1672202577358.png

Yes, on the pre-fit barrel search.

Zermatt arms used to be called Bighorn arms, they are the same company and same people. They offer the TL3, SR3, and Origin depending on what you want out of the rifle and how much you want to pay.

As far as barrels are concerned, the barrel manufacturers will sell barrels as pre-fit. They will also specify which brand of action and model they fit. For Zermatt arms, barrels with either be for the TL3/SR3 or the Origin.

I like shopping at Altus shooting because they sell both barrels and actions and sometimes even barreled actions which would completely save you from going to a gunsmith.

Ok so I guess my question should have been, which one of the Bighorn actions are you guys running?

I have a TL3 and an Origin. Fundamentally, if you want a more premium offering go TL3 or SR3. If you want to save money go Origin. If you want to use detachable box magazines go TL3 or Origin. If you want to use an internal box magazine go SR3.

It is kind of confusing now that Zermatt has completely shifted branding over to their name solely and dropped the Bighorn branding. It's my fault for referring to the old name in my post. Same people - same quality actions just a commitment to one name going forward as the business evolved. I run the Origin action - for $1,000 you'll be hard-pressed to find a better action with the same features and flexibility for almost any build. It punches way outside it's weight-class for sure. I LOVE mine.

I think everyone answered the Zermatt big horn question but here is a link

For pre-fit barrels proof research and preferred barrels are 2 manufacturers. If you don't let me the Zermatt actions there are other manufacturers that have tight tolerances where pre-fit barrels can be ordered.

I've had gap, crescent customs and area 419 build rifles for me. Defiance actions on all. Deviant, ruckus, tenacity. All good and no complaints. Just depends on how heavy you want your rifle. Zermatt , bat and surgeon actions are good too. Even a Remington 700 action can be trued and tricked out but then you are already in the custom action price range.

Trigger tech for a trigger is what most will recommend.

Carbon barrels, I would recommend bartlein. Some smiths will not guarantee accuracy installing carbon barrels. Thread your barrels to accommodate breaks or suppressors. Even if you don't intend to use it it is a selling point if you ever decide to sell it.

your big name stocks are McMillan, manners, ag composites.

What barrel length have you decided on?

I am not sure on barrel length yet as I will more than likely use a suppressor on it. I would like a 24" barrel but with the can on they get pretty long.

I am thinking a Zermatt Origin action, need to find a barrel maker that will do a pre-fit. Proof seems to have taken a hit on reputation. But might still be an option. Trigger Tech trigger. I have both Manners and McMillan stocks on other rifles and like them both. I have no idea what I will need or want for bottom metal.

I am not sure on barrel length yet as I will more than likely use a suppressor on it. I would like a 24" barrel but with the can on they get pretty long.

I am thinking a Zermatt Origin action, need to find a barrel maker that will do a pre-fit. Proof seems to have taken a hit on reputation. But might still be an option. Trigger Tech trigger. I have both Manners and McMillan stocks on other rifles and like them both. I have no idea what I will need or want for bottom metal.
Proof carbon barrels are right at 2lbs. I think preferred carbon barrels is around 36 oz. Not sure of bartlien barrels. Other than that you are squared away. If you are doing it yourself look at pma barrel vise and get an action wrench and a torque wrench then assemble and shoot

What are your guys opinions on Preferred barrels? I have never heard of them, the only aftermarket barrel I have ever bought was a Bartlein stainless.

What are your guys opinions on Preferred barrels? I have never heard of them, the only aftermarket barrel I have ever bought was a Bartlein stainless.
I have never shot any preferred, I have had bartlien and wasn't impressed with it. That isn't to say bartlien doesn't make great barrels but maybe the one I got wasn't great. My proof shoots great and I heard great things about preferred barrels. Depends on what you want in a rifle.

24" would be a good medium or even a 22". Me personally I let the professionals chamber the rifle and set the head space. But prefits are an option.

Zermatt are nice. proof make there rifles with that action. I've messed with them a few times at gun shops but never shot one. Seems really smooth like you could 1-2 finger run the action. I've yet to get any of my defiance actions to roll like that.

Stock- do you want a light gun? If it's strictly hunting and you want to hike long distances go light. Just keep in mind a light stock or chassis will make a rifle front heavy if you have a long barrel or heavy barrel.

Bottom Metal- do you want detached mags or a floor plate?

24" would be a good medium or even a 22". Me personally I let the professionals chamber the rifle and set the head space. But prefits are an option.

Zermatt are nice. proof make there rifles with that action. I've messed with them a few times at gun shops but never shot one. Seems really smooth like you could 1-2 finger run the action. I've yet to get any of my defiance actions to roll like that.

Stock- do you want a light gun? If it's strictly hunting and you want to hike long distances go light. Just keep in mind a light stock or chassis will make a rifle front heavy if you have a long barrel or heavy barrel.

Bottom Metal- do you want detached mags or a floor plate?
What is the difference between the barrel manufacturer threading and chambering a barrel and a gunsmith doing the same thing? Just wanting to understand