First Custom Build

adamsoa

I've been saving up and I'm ready for my first custom build. I've played around with factory guns and now I want to try something new. I'm trying to decide on the caliber. I'm down to a .270wsm, 7mm rm or a 300 win mag. I've had all three in the past.

I hunt Mule deer, Elk and White tail. I've really loved my 270wsm but my 18 year old daughter has decided that she needs to inherit that--Which gives me the opportunity to build something custom.

I want to get something fun to shoot that won't take my arm off. I've been getting into long range shooting and want to have fun with it.

Any recommendations?

If you've had all 3 & are set on 1 of the 3 listed, consider changing it up a bit. For instance the 270 tailored for the new soon to come? Heavy.27 cal Berger, or Matrix, or try what I would call a mid range capacity 7mm with the 195 Berger. Both would be different a bit from what you've probably had before & I think both would be fun & not tear ya up.
I'm in the process of building a mid range capacity 7mm.
I've owned & shot all 3 calibers you listed in 1 form or another, the 270 & 7mm's were my favorites.
Had a couple 30 cal. But I'm a bit recoil shy.
Good Luck & keep us posted on what you decide.

For me I would go 300 WM. Get it throated for the 215 Berger. Put a 26 tp 28" barrel on it and shoot those 215 at 3000 fps or just under. With a good brake recoil is not a problem. I built one last winter on a Borden action, McMillan game scout, Brux #3, Holland brake with a NF SHV. Finish weight is 10 lb 2 oz. Either that or like Dave 6.5 mentioned a Larger 7mm to shoot the new 195 Berger.

Well........

If your budget is limited and you already have the 300WM dies. IIWM I'd go that route.
If you have any preferences on magazine feed, go 300WM.
If you want factory ammo just in case, go 300WM

....even though I don't have one, go with the 300WM.

that said...

If It Were Me (IIWM), 308/26 Nosler or 300RUM or or or or or or or......

Oh dear, I have a lot of 30 cals.:cool:

Build what you want.

300 win mag is sweet. 26 or 28 nosler is cool too. Honestly, it's whatever is cool to you.

A 6.5x284 is cool to me lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.