First Coyote with my new Fury.

Broz

I have been hard after the yotes the last few weeks, every since I purchased a new FoxPro Fury electronic caller. I was getting pretty discuraged as I had made 4 or 5 tips out with zero encounters.

This weekend I went back up to my old stomping grounds in Iowa and turned the table. On my 3rd stand I had a huge silver yote come in to a rabbit distress call but he was looking at me and before I could get the rifle up he was back over the hill.

Later that evening I set up with the caller farther away and tied a turkey feather with a thread from my jacket ot a weed next to the caller. The yote came in making a wide swing staring at the caller and the feather that was flipping in the breeze.

I had positioned my self in a hedge row and was set to shoot prone. I let out a "YIP" and stopped him, then sent a 85 gr Sierra from my WBY Vanguard chambered in 6mm / 284. The bullet made a nice pass through the rib cage with about a 1" exit hole and he expired very quickly. The old Vanguard still has it!
cool.gif

The red arrow behind me in the second pic is where he was shot from.
DSC00856Large.jpg

DSC00864Large.jpg

Sendaro_Man, You are correct. I had called yotes in a few times before but not a lot. I spent years after them with hounds but can't have hounds where we now live. I really want to get good at this and I feel I have learned a little.

Thanks! Jeff

Nice setup you have, and the turkey feather works well, I've done that too.

Anything to distract them that looks natural helps a bunch.

Thanks for the pic and keep after em'.

That's what I am talking about. I am happy for you. If you keep going they will come. I made three stands this weekend and got skunked three times. I will be back at it ASAP. Congratulations.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.