My first Coyote

For me and for coyote I've found that around 2900 fps seem to work well even with the 55gr. sierra hp's in my 223 . 3200 has be be near the max for them . A high BC is good for the wind here up and down drafts as well as side wind is common .
Well I did end up working up a load for coyotes with 54.5 grains of reloader 23 and a 123 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullet velocity turned out to be 3155 ft./s. This is three shots at 100 yards the gray square is 1" ,The grid is 1/2inch
19C3B66F-5740-41E9-85BA-F74F4B54292C.jpeg

I think that you will enjoy that loading . I found that with my 6.5x284 it had a few MV's that it liked and grouped well . Years back I had a friend that bought a 1970 chivelle SS that had a 350 425 horse engine with a 4 speed tranny . it could run like a stripped ape but he normally didn't drive it very fast and told me just because I can go 120 mph doesn't mean that I should . My car will last longer if I don't but if the need is there so is the ability . I liked that saying so I borrowed it from him and remembered it and have used it several times over the years .

I think that you will enjoy that loading . I found that with my 6.5x284 it had a few MV's that it liked and grouped well . Years back I had a friend that bought a 1970 chivelle SS that had a 350 425 horse engine with a 4 speed tranny . it could run like a stripped ape but he normally didn't drive it very fast and told me just because I can go 120 mph doesn't mean that I should . My car will last longer if I don't but if the need is there so is the ability . I liked that saying so I borrowed it from him and remembered it and have used it several times over the years .
With that load I was seeing no pressure signs at all so I could go a little higher but like you mentioned I don't feel the need plus it is not 90° or higher in the middle of summer yet we will see what happens as the temperature rises

An old trick I learned to keep my ammo next to my body in the winter in the box mag and put it in the sun some times in the summer if I needed to for more reach and speed but if your already running at max you want to think hard about putting it in the sun .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.