First Call and Kill on a Coyote

Tikka Lover

Official LRH SPONSOR
So the morning started out with my altenator going out in my truck on the way to my hunting area, turned around made it home on a prayer. Tore out the old one, had to wait for the parts store to open because it was only 6:30 am. 8:00 am rolls around went and grabbed a new one, 15 minutes later heading back toward the spot I want to try for my first real try at calling.

Get to my spot, now it's around 10:30 make my way to the top of the hill, doh! Forgot the batteries for my new decoy, hike back to truck, hike back to spot and notice I dropped my remote for the caller somewhere
mad.gif
. Retrace steps back to truck, nothing, retrace back up hill and found it!!
smile.gif

First set, nothin. Hike a few canyons over so the wind is different, nothin.

Got in the truck and drove about a half mile or so where there were more cedar trees. Set up in the shade under a big cedar, started the call and decoy about 20 yards from me on the down slope. 4 minutes later coyote comes running in front of me right to left looking back at the decoy as he disappears into the thick cedars.... What am I to do now? So I just sit and wait, sure enough he circled around to have a better look. He passed the call and decoy within feet and stopped for just a second broadside in front of me BOOM !! Very first ever coyote called in and shot. I was ecstatic to say the least. This was at noon.
The gun is my long range custom rifle (7 WSM, 189 grain Cauterucio bullet at 2920 fps) so it was quite the over kill for a 20 yard shot on a coyote (you would not want to see the opposite side of him
sick.gif
) and the scope at 6.5-20X50 was a little tricky that close too. I was planning on a little bit farther of a shot but I guess that's how it goes, you gotta be prepared for anything.
I used one of those Johnny Stewart $40 wireless callers and a $20 shaking rabbit decoy. I think they worked great together. I don't know if he would have given me a shot if the decoy were not there to keep his attention for that split second.
Sorry so long winded, but there ya have it a coyote newbie and his first call and kill. Thanks for all the good info on the forum. I think I might take a quciker handling gun next time
wink.gif

Last thing, how late is usually too late in the morning to still be successful? I almost didn't go back out after I fixed my truck because I thought it would be too late in the day, glad I went anyway.

COYOTE2009.jpg

Congratulations, must have feeled great to succeed after all those trouble in the morning.
Keep up the good work.

Nice going, nothing like the first called coyote and up close too.
Don't know if there's a bad time, unless it's too windy then I just spot and stalk.

For calling. Some say the first couple hours in the morning and last couple in the evening. But I don't think the coyotes have gotten that memo yet. Back when I had winters off of work we hunted coyotes alot. We would have occ. success all day long calling, but it wasn't the norm. Good luck this season, I hope the excitement of harvesting those dogs never leaves you. I still get excited when one comes in and I have 20+years of it.

Brent

Your in trouble now :), coyote killing is more of a disease for which there is no hope for other than finding and killing more.
The last three we killed got shot nearly of the end of my boots, I like them a little farther. We have a little 17HMR for popping them in close and it works well.
We call as many in during the mid morning and mid after noon as any other time, I think the best times have to do in part with you calling style and the type of calls your using.

i was thinking you had the hunting curse from all the trouble you had, but when a wild dog comes up to you that close and basically lets you shoot it, i changed my theory to you have the best worst luck ever :) thats like getting struck by lightning attacked by a shark and winning the lottery all in the same day!:cool:

Howdy and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now, I guess you know, you are officially addicted!!! There is no hunting like calling coyotes. Back when I graduated college (1975) I paid off my college loans calling and skinning coyotes. I can document 1200 kills, ALL from the same rifle. It is now retired, hee hee and so am I. But I still get out and call four or five times a month during the winter.

Oh, a technique that I used, when the coyote came in and "made" me, I waited for him to run straight away from me. Invariably he will look back over his shoulder for a last look. Follow his nose with your cross hair and when he looks back shoot his nose! You will break his neck 9 times out of ten.

Have fun!!! Congratulations again, and shoot straight.

Coach

Congrats!One word can sum it all up, EXCELLENT! I am trying to do the same here in NJ, but we can only use shotgun or muzzleloader, and no muzzleloaders are allowed for night hunting. Shotgun shot sizes are from #4 to #T. (If you put a load of #4B in a shotgun in the woods will anybody hear it?)
I have used the Johnny Stewart calls before, and from what I hear, they produce the doggies.
I just bought the Primos Sonic Dome and Double Howler, and have had some responses to my calls when I was out on the porch one night having a smoke.
After deer season I plan to get serious in taking out some doggies.
Keep killing and posting pics!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.