First 1000+ yard hits with my Savage 110FCP 338 Lapua

Crappy day for getting a try out with that rifle! Hey...next time we have a hurricane move in on the coast down here....send me your cell number and I'll take ya down and set ya up on the beach! gun):Dlightbulb

I shot a .338 for the first time this weeknd. it was a savage with the factory break and all that. it was having some serious issues. 4 miss fires and one stuck case out of 20 rounds of lapua ammo. with a history of stuck cases with reloads. when it did work it packed a punch for sure... Have you had any problems with yours?

Is there anything like your first hits past 1kyds?! lol If you weren't an addict before you are now...:D
Very entertaining... switching back & forth from my RUM & Mil/Mil Leupy to my 6-284 & MOA/MOA NightForce was weird....

22moa vs 7.3mils lol:rolleyes:

I just had my 338RUM @ 1060 yesterday:
300SMK
2780 Avg velocity.
varying wind from my 1 o'clock

Forgot a rear bag, good think I brought the rest....

7.3mils up .5mils right

Attachments

• 338 RUM at 1060yds (1).jpg
    338 RUM at 1060yds (1).jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 44
Is there anything like your first hits past 1kyds?! lol If you weren't an addict before you are now...:D
Very entertaining... switching back & forth from my RUM & Mil/Mil Leupy to my 6-284 & MOA/MOA NightForce was weird....

22moa vs 7.3mils lol:rolleyes:

I just had my 338RUM @ 1060 yesterday:
300SMK
2780 Avg velocity.
varying wind from my 1 o'clock

Forgot a rear bag, good think I brought the rest....

7.3mils up .5mils right

Is that a McRee stock? Nice rifle!

Is that a McRee stock? Nice rifle!

Yes R7L-TMAG, first gen IIRC. They look a little different now-a-days. 5rnd AI mags are a PITA, other than that I'm happy.

BTW- Scott McRee is one of the most impressive gents i've ever met. Customer service is far past outstanding.

What don't you like about the 5rnd AI mags?

Two Very Big Issues:

1) The AI mags were designed for the 338 Lapua, the shoulder on the RUM sits farther forward than the LM. You have to machine the AI mags to run a RUM cartridge or they will not go into the mag. If you look at the attached Pic, you can see the required work to the Magazine which is essentially removing the "dimple" from the mag, creating a window.

2) These mags are SHORT! OAL is quite limited, not enough to render it useless but close. Had I known then, what I know now, I would have run single shot. McRee does offer a variant now that offers ~.125 extra, but IIRC the stock would have to modified to feed correctly.

EDIT: If you look at the mag in my first pic, you can see it a little better.

Attachments

• RUM With M5-A (1).jpg
    RUM With M5-A (1).jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 44
Two Very Big Issues:

1) The AI mags were designed for the 338 Lapua, the shoulder on the RUM sits farther forward than the LM. You have to machine the AI mags to run a RUM cartridge or they will not go into the mag. If you look at the attached Pic, you can see the required work to the Magazine which is essentially removing the "dimple" from the mag, creating a window.

2) These mags are SHORT! OAL is quite limited, not enough to render it useless but close. Had I known then, what I know now, I would have run single shot. McRee does offer a variant now that offers ~.125 extra, but IIRC the stock would have to modified to feed correctly.

EDIT: If you look at the mag in my first pic, you can see it a little better.

Interesting, that's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.