My first real long range hits

diderr

Went out today, and tested out my new hand loads. They were grouping into 3 inches at 300 yards, so I figured they would do ok at 1000 plus. I hit the 12x10 inch steel plate 2 times and the stand itself 2 times. The CB shot was only about three feet high and right. It took a few shots to find the correct wind adjustment due to the cannon play. There is enough room at this land to shoot up to a mile.
project10zo4.jpg

project9hi9.jpg

That looks like a great place to shoot. Good shooting with a good looking rifle too, thats a real neat paint job. What are the specifics on your rifle build? Always interested in reading range report guys.

for shootin that far i'd try something in the 210 range.might work a little better. Berger would be my first choice.

great post by the way.

Remington 700 police, long action 300 wsm, Shilen stainless #7 cont. barrel, badger ordinance 20 moa cant rail, Leupold mark 4 rings, Leupold mark 4 6.5x20x50mm, Harris bi-pod, eagle industries stock pack, 1lb. trigger.

for shootin that far i'd try something in the 210 range.might work a little better. Berger would be my first choice.

great post by the way.

I'm new at this so please bear with me if this sounds foolish, but why would you want a heavier bullet?
Better ballistic coeficent?

It's hard for me to fathom a better bullet than the 165 gr BT.

Great shooting, and thanks for putting up with my ignorance in this field.
Best Wishes, Jay

I'm new at this so please bear with me if this sounds foolish, but why would you want a heavier bullet?
Better ballistic coeficent?

It's hard for me to fathom a better bullet than the 165 gr BT.

Great shooting, and thanks for putting up with my ignorance in this field.
Best Wishes, Jay
the heavier the bullet, the more stable it stays in flight.

The heavier bullets provide less wind drift and more retained energy to the target. The rifle twist needs to be compatible to stabilize the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.