Firing pin spring???

Jack300WSM

I need someone to school me on Remington 700 firing pin springs. I currently have four Remington 700 SA (300wsm, 6mm REM, 7-08, and 22-250), one Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300wsm and a Remington 40x in 223. I was going to change all the firing pin springs as I've never done so for the life of my rifles. I've heard different opinions. I ordered 4 -28lb springs from Wolff to try based on their recommendation. Upon looking them over my springs were all different lengths (see pics) and the new springs were longer. Which I expected since stock rem springs are 24lb. Upon putting in the new springs I noticed it seemed as the "coils" were rubbing on the interior bolt wall. I watched a video of Eric Cortina and Speedy and they brought this up as an issue to accuracy/fliers from inconsistent spring movement. I'm confused more than I was before now. Why are they all so different? And should there be free movement inside the bolt with no coil touching the walls as Speedy said? Just seems like that would be an awful light spring for that to occur. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_6767.jpeg
    IMG_6767.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6765.jpeg
    IMG_6765.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6762.jpeg
    IMG_6762.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6763.jpeg
    IMG_6763.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6764.jpeg
    IMG_6764.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 111
The issue is that a spring that 'snakes' into a wavy position when cocked, and binds inside the bolt changes the harmonics on every firing differently.
Early REM 700's were notorious for this, so people were cutting coils out and doing silly things that made it worse.
I don't remember the name of the company now, they were the first to offer aftermarket springs that were either the same poundage as OEM, no binding and a different coil diameter using CS (carbon silicon) steel. They also offered different poundage springs, which I used myself in my comp rifles, but it was years ago that I fitted them.
The reason the lengths differ is because just like a valve spring on an engine, different batches of steel will have a different poundage when compressed, this how they get the correct poundage, through the length or number of coils.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

I put the Wolff spring kits in my 3 Ruger 77 MKIIs.
Mostly for the reduced weight trigger springs.
All 3 ended up being more accurate.

But was it the increased firing pin spring, or the reduced trigger spring?

Going from a 6lb to 3lb trigger surely helped!
I watched the Cortina - Speedy video as well, and my take was, the consistent ignition a new spring provides is very critical to accuracy. Equally important is to eliminate the ¨wavy¨ effect of the spring which some springs have. This is eliminated by have springs with the correct ID to the firing pin OD. This will keep the spring from being wavy and rubbing on the bolt barrel. Lube was also discussed, IIRC - grease not oil.

Now, with that said and at the risk of facing the ire of those who would disagree, Speedy and Cortina are very successful BR and F Class competitors with proven backgrounds, whom are looking for tenths and less than tenths of improvements in accuracy. Firing Springs are not high dollar and seem to be an easy fix if done as suggested by two very good shooters and rifle builders. Good luck and God Bless.

I made a fixture to remove and install new rem.700 springs.
You have to take firing pin assy. out of bolt.
compress spring enough to remove small dowel pin that holds assy.together.
clean,reassemble assy.with new spring reinstall dowel pin.

The issue is that a spring that 'snakes' into a wavy position when cocked, and binds inside the bolt changes the harmonics on every firing differently.
Early REM 700's were notorious for this, so people were cutting coils out and doing silly things that made it worse.
I don't remember the name of the company now, they were the first to offer aftermarket springs that were either the same poundage as OEM, no binding and a different coil diameter using CS (carbon silicon) steel. They also offered different poundage springs, which I used myself in my comp rifles, but it was years ago that I fitted them.
The reason the lengths differ is because just like a valve spring on an engine, different batches of steel will have a different poundage when compressed, this how they get the correct poundage, through the length or number of coils.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Would that have been David Tubb that offered the springs?

Are you saying when the new springs are installed, they coil up on the firing pin which causes contact with the bolt body? or the old springs. I changed mine also but when with Gretac springs. https://www.gretanrifles.com/product-page/chrome-silica-spring-short-action

I ordered a new firing pin and spring combo to get the upgraded pin as well as the spring. Very reasonable price.

jjw
ND

I put the Wolff spring kits in my 3 Ruger 77 MKIIs.
Mostly for the reduced weight trigger springs.
All 3 ended up being more accurate.

But was it the increased firing pin spring, or the reduced trigger spring?

Going from a 6lb to 3lb trigger surely helped!
Out of curiosity, why didn't you go with a Timney or equivalent, instead of replacing just a spring? The Timney trigger on my 77 is in ounces...

You may be correct, haven't got any of my shop notes, sold the business well over a year ago and my memory isn't the best since my DVT, Pulmonary Embolus and cardiac arrest back in February.

Cheers.
Sorry to hear about your problem. Hell to get old. My thoughts are with you. Take Care.
In my last couple of rifles I am having the springs changed out.