Firing Pin Spring Replacement; How Often?

Bart B

How often do folks replace their firing pin springs?

I know weak ones don't detonate primers good enough to produce small muzzle velocity spreads. Most modern centerfire rifles' springs are rated around 23 to 25 pounds when cocked. One can go to:

Wolff Rifle & Shotgun Springs

then use the table on the left side of that page to find out what their rifle's factory spring's rated at.

There's little difference in the force load between cocked and fired length when the spring's in the assembled bolt. And a constant load compressing a spring tends to weaken it. How much depends on the metalurgy and treatment of the spring.

Last edited:
Haven't had to replace one yet but, it will be interesting to hear how often others here may have changed theirs.

In 50 years of shooting I have replaced springs on 2 gun as I recall. I have replaced several fireing pins that have broke though. I have a gun in my hands about every day, even if I don`t shoot it, but I do go through several 1,000 rounds of ammo a year.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.