Fireform barrel idea

Alright, found an old 30-06 barrel in the shop. It is threaded on the muzzle, so I'll turn a cap and experiment with different size holes in the cap.
1. ATF requirements met.
2. High enough Pressure with low charges met
3. Very few components needed
Appreciate all the brainstorming guys. I'd rather have a 5" fixture, but the way things are now days, you guys are right to "avoid even the appearance of evil"
I don't like using cow cause it gets everywhere, so hope this is a different alternative

Has anyone taken a piece of rod stock, threaded it to fit an action, drilled a small bore like 22cal then chambered for say a 300wsm to fireform with??
I think the problem with this idea is that fire-forming in the gun you are intended to load for is an advantage because now you have a casing that is fire-formed to your specific chamber. If you used this idea to fire-form (legalities aside) it wouldn't be fire-formed for the intended chamber; it might be close but it would never be perfect until after the cases 2nd firing and my brass life is WAY shorter than my barrel life.

A few comments are incorrect. The best source is BATFE websites. The SBR is easily overcome by simply buying a receiver that has never been assembled as a rifle from a supplier and have your FFL list it as a pistol when you pick it up. Then comply with any local laws regarding pistol registrations etc. My thinking is it's a non-starter. Every chamber is different. You'd basically be fire forming twice. But heck I've done all kinds of experiments that were silly or useless just for the heck of it.

I like the idea of building your own "pistol receiver"

To deal with the back pressure SG mentioned, I'm thinking you could thread the end of your barrel, slot a pipe cap with vent holes parallel with the axis of the pipe, put the cap on, start with it backed off, so vent is wide open, fire, check forming, then run it down, closing the vent, until it builds enough pressure to form the case properly. Could even get fancy and incorporate a blow off valve to release pressure...not sure where to find a 60,000 psi blow off valve

Not going to get into the particulars but 25 yrs ago I had a friend that taught me to reload that used an old action had it threaded 7/8-14 and used a fl die for fireforming. Threaded it down to the bolt. I know he did thousand of cases. He was a big prairie dog shooter. Everything from 17 Mach IV rimmed he made out of 357 maximum cases to 220 Arrow. Used pistol powder, cream of wheat and tp to do it. I hadn't thought about that since I last saw him. He's been gone 20 yrs. Miss that guy.

Last edited:
Somehow, whatever method is used, provisions should be made to insure that no live ammunition can ever be fired with the restriction. If the barrel/rifle ever got in the hands of the unknowing it could end up in disaster. Makes standard fireforming with bullets or "cow" look a little more viable. Hydro forming is an alley that can be looked down for increased viability. A better "mousetrap" in hydro forming will be welcomed by many.
Just thinking outloud

Yes, indeed. For just two hundred lousy bucks, Hornady can make that die and nobody here is in danger of honking-off the ATF...
Well here go's
I built a 250AI(250savage) Loaded up 200 rounds with what I was going to shoot at Prairie Dogs. Went to my range just to see what it would do. Got the scope re-sighted at 100 yards and got .5 moa and couldn't believe it, so I quite! Few weeks later in South Dakota near Rosebud I fire formed cases while shooting dogs! Don't get no better then this!

I think the problem with this idea is that fire-forming in the gun you are intended to load for is an advantage because now you have a casing that is fire-formed to your specific chamber. If you used this idea to fire-form (legalities aside) it wouldn't be fire-formed for the intended chamber; it might be close but it would never be perfect until after the cases 2nd firing and my brass life is WAY shorter than my barrel life.
I fl size, so I'm thinking it will get it close enough. Biggest thing I'm looking to do is get the 30 to a 35 degree shoulder. I've left out some details. Sorry about that

I like the idea of building your own "pistol receiver"

To deal with the back pressure SG mentioned, I'm thinking you could thread the end of your barrel, slot a pipe cap with vent holes parallel with the axis of the pipe, put the cap on, start with it backed off, so vent is wide open, fire, check forming, then run it down, closing the vent, until it builds enough pressure to form the case properly. Could even get fancy and incorporate a blow off valve to release pressure...not sure where to find a 60,000 psi blow off valve
Shouldn't need anywhere close to 60k to ff. I love the idea!!

Not going to get into the particulars but 25 yrs ago I had a friend that taught me to reload that used an old action had it threaded 7/8-14 and used a fl die for fireforming. Threaded it down to the bolt. I know he did thousand of cases. He was a big prairie dog shooter. Everything from 17 Mach IV rimmed he made out of 357 maximum cases to 220 Arrow. Used pistol powder, cream of wheat and tp to do it. I hadn't thought about that since I last saw him. He's been gone 20 yrs. Miss that guy.
Very interesting! His passing didn't have to do with .... nevermind.

Yes, indeed. For just two hundred lousy bucks, Hornady can make that die and nobody here is in danger of honking-off the ATF...
You aren't understanding that I have an idea that can work and is better than hydroforming. It just needs brainstorming by a bunch of guys with tons of experience, which we have. And it costs nothing.

Norma 270 Win brass takes 25,000 psi to fire form decently to 6.5 Sherman with fast pistol powder and COW, with slower powders you won't get it formed as well even at higher pressure, the time to peak definitely changes fire forming, time under the curve does not seem to effect it as much.
I chamber my fire forming barrels for rifles I've chambered at .000 headspace, that lets me basically just neck size with a FL die and not touch the shoulder at that .002 headspace for the case. If I'm making a fire form barrel for something I have not chambered I want fully fire formed brass from it so I can set the fire form chamber to match well for the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.