reducing a barrel channel idea ??

DUSTY NOGGIN

i upgraded a adl synthetic stock pencil barrel to a fiberglass stock with a sendero contour barrel channel . has about a 3/16 gap there now and id like to fill it up

got any ideas you might share

i was thinking to add one or two layers of shrink tubing to the barrel ( hope it doesn't stick )then bedding it with pigmented poly resin or epoxy . then removing the shrink tubing

Instead of shrink tubing, look in the Plumbing section for 10 mill poly tape, (Used for wrapping underground pipe.) I use it on barrels for glassing barrel channels, and it works good, Epoxy doesn't stick well to it, and I bet it's cheaper than heat shrink. One layer is probably enough clearance......That's a lot of epoxy to add just for looks.....If it were me, I would use the tape, and add more layers to the bottom of the barrel, out of sight, and short of the stock tip to make a void under the barrel. This would save some weight and epoxy....Just make sure you don't "trap" it, by getting the tape built out past wider than the finished channel. If that doesn't make since, I can try explain it better.......

Instead of shrink tubing, look in the Plumbing section for 10 mill poly tape, (Used for wrapping underground pipe.) I use it on barrels for glassing barrel channels, and it works good, Epoxy doesn't stick well to it, and I bet it's cheaper than heat shrink. One layer is probably enough clearance......That's a lot of epoxy to add just for looks.....If it were me, I would use the tape, and add more layers to the bottom of the barrel, out of sight, and short of the stock tip to make a void under the barrel. This would save some weight and epoxy....Just make sure you don't "trap" it, by getting the tape built out past wider than the finished channel. If that doesn't make since, I can try explain it better.......
understand completely.

this stuff ??? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Christy-s-2-in-x-100-ft-Plumber-s-Tape/3433996

does it leave stickyness on the barrel or peel off easily ??

I never used that brand, but yes that stuff.....It peels easy, nothing really left on the barrel. I usually wipe the barrel down with Rubbing alcohol after its off, but have never had to scrub at anything...... I have used it around the recoil lug for clearance, but you have to work it to get small folded flaps to stick. A long strip on the barrel goes on and comes off like butter!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.