Fireform barrel idea

I'm no metallurgist or physicist so cant speak to the specifics about the soundness of the idea from that standpoint, but I wouldn't have any reservations about proceeding with the idea, all legality aside....just find an old bugle and solder it on the end you'll be legal and look like Elmer fudd
I could use a good psychiatrist:)

The more I think about it I really want you to solder on the bell from a bugle, surely you can find one at a pawn shop
Maybe he should weld it to a 55 gallon barrel "supressor" but call it a sound "deadener" for a case forming tool.....it can't shoot a projectile so the whole thing isn't even a firearm...it will be so quiet you could use it in the back yard....lol

One Thing To Consider. If you are just using a piece of round stock and cut a chamber in it. NO RIFLING, The ATF would want to considered it a shot gun. The barrel would have to be 18 inches. To keep some smart a?? off my A??.
Law is based off the definitions in Black's Dictionary. In definition the rifling in the barrel is what makes it a rifle.

Again, atf and safety aside, any input would be helpful. If not, I'll do it and post results.

What if you built it of square stock...that fits into a permanent vise...
The rear of fhe stock is slotted to have a cross bar slide across which locks the cartridge in place but also has a pull back type firing pin like a Steven's 22 rifle....and the chamber is reamed correct size...but hole in front is smaller than the caliber as to be the builder of pressure for cow style firing.......

How about the original idea, but weld a piece of Schedule 40 pipe to the five-inch piece of rod stock? You'd have the original idea, and the extra 12" of pipe keeps you legal. And you could clamp the pipe into a vise. Or make a stand of some sort to use it out in an open field where the noise wouldn't be a problem. Weld a piece of flat stock onto the bottom of the pipe, then clamp the flat stock into your massively-heavy shop vise. Slide a long cardboard tube (like you'd find as a core for a large carpet) over it, and that's your sound containment.

You must create pressure to fully form a cartridge case. The bullet traveling down the rifling has resistance, thus creating more 'pressure' to make the case fully expand to the chamber walls. Just how many threads on these interdnet forums have I read where the OP complains about his cases not being completely formed using the COW method? A 1/4" hole and a .300WSM reamer isn't gonna' work. Will the pilot fit in a 1/4" hole? #3,,, just any "rod stock" is NOT a good idea. Common 1018 is only considered 60,000# material, you'd better use 4140HT, as it's considered 70,000 material. I think a much better option would be to find a used .308 Win. barrel and rechamber it to .300WSM. It would seem to me that the fire form barrel have a shorter chamber than the barrel you are planning to use the fire formed brass in does. Lastly, ATFE doesn't care. You can spend hundreds of thousands proving in Fed court you didn't break the law or violate any regulations (which by the way, carry the 'weight' of law).

Has anyone taken a piece of rod stock, threaded it to fit an action, drilled a small bore like 22cal then chambered for say a 300wsm to fireform with??
Why not slot the rod stock on the bottom make sure the end of the rod stock is not open / closed let gases and material exit through slot on bottom to fireform this is what im thinking about doing

You must create pressure to fully form a cartridge case. The bullet traveling down the rifling has resistance, thus creating more 'pressure' to make the case fully expand to the chamber walls. Just how many threads on these interdnet forums have I read where the OP complains about his cases not being completely formed using the COW method? A 1/4" hole and a .300WSM reamer isn't gonna' work. Will the pilot fit in a 1/4" hole? #3,,, just any "rod stock" is NOT a good idea. Common 1018 is only considered 60,000# material, you'd better use 4140HT, as it's considered 70,000 material. I think a much better option would be to find a used .308 Win. barrel and rechamber it to .300WSM. It would seem to me that the fire form barrel have a shorter chamber than the barrel you are planning to use the fire formed brass in does. Lastly, ATFE doesn't care. You can spend hundreds of thousands proving in Fed court you didn't break the law or violate any regulations (which by the way, carry the 'weight' of law).
So if im understanding you correctly to firefrom brass i will need the back pressure created by the projectile going through barrel . I thought you could fireform brass by plunging the end of brass with wading material of some sort?
?

You're probably right ... I need an 1/8" hole :)
As usual, you are the "crabby uncle". I build rifles, SG, so I know I need to drill it out for the pilot. Got that part figured out. As for the pressure, I'll be using a very light load of trailboss which won't be near 60k. Doubt it will be even close to 10k. It will be 1.5" or 1.25" rod stock

For $60 I bought a 16" iong blank from Black Hole Barrels and just chambered that for fire forming my 300 Norma Improved brass. Loaded them up with a case full of surplus surplus 50 BMG powder and some cheap bullets. I slapped the barreled action in a tuperware stock and had at it. Fire formed 200 Lapua cases which should be enough for the life of this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts