Fireform barrel idea

How about threading the end and using some type of valve (maybe like an air compressor drain?) so then you can fine tune the pressure?
Great idea. Not sure what the valve psi ratings are. Just getting done with lunch and have an idea. We'll see if it works and I'll make a quick video

I was on topic, I don't think fire-forming is how I do do it. I did not go into the details of how I would do it because that is not on topic, yet I see a 'like' for the post that does go into the details of how to hydro-form instead of fire-forming. hum.
I read thru this too fast and see what your saying about my liking his post about how he would make a hydroforming die. I was liking the $200 comment, but see your point. Apologies for not reading better. As I was...

I read thru this too fast and see what your saying about my liking his post about how he would make a hydroforming die. I was liking the $200 comment, but see your point. Apologies for not reading better. As I was...
No worries, sorry for my interject.
I see where you are coming from, looking for suggestions and comments on your idea. I've always been one for thinking out of the box.
Thinking more about it, imagine tiny pressure vents as in a sizing die. Cow forming has trouble making the "sharp" corners you get on first & second bullet firings. First bullet firings do not get the sharper corners either (I would believe that air may get trapped preventing this as the case seals.
With your lighter powder/patch charges the corner closing MAY/MIGHT be more complete with a ring of spaced "tiny" vent holes were in place around the body/shoulder junction. Providing the gas could be diverted away from the operator.
Just additional rambling.
Randy

How about a barrel with no hole at the muzzle at all ?
Start with just a primer and see how much pressure you get.
Add very small amount of fast powder and work your way up

We have a number of fire forming barrels for forming the Terminator rounds. I use old burned up barrels. These are pretty easy to come by call a gunsmith most have several dead barrels lying around. They do not have to be caliber specific as long as the caliber is smaller than the OD of the neck of the case. We set up a 700 with quick change barrels for this that are set screwed in place. I'll try to get a picture up of ours.

Patent this idea....make millions over night....
Two piece fireforming....
One piece is the firing mechanism....that is threaded either inside or outside....
Second piece is chambered for the cartridge and screws onto or into the firing mechanism....
Chambered piece has outlet holes drilled in to let the excess pressure out...but not directly drill in front of the chamber.....or small hole directly in front of chamber to allow cow system to work...maybe even a screwoff end to allow cleaning of debris.....
For wildcat cartridges I think you would make bank.....
Set up in a vise....in garage or outdoors....or bolted onto a 2x4 and slid into a sound proof chamber to be fired.....Len would market it for you...hes such a nice guy.....

Ran the powder charge up to 15g trailboss. Not totally ff the brass.
Tried 8g then filled with COW. plugged up the "device" and caused backpressure. Worked better though.
Tried 8g and 3/4 full of COW. Loud and seemed to work pretty well. Still wanting to avoid COW though.
Back to the drawing board.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts