Fire Forming for 7 STW

The reason you don't need to do anything but shoot is because the belt keeps the case head against the bolt face ensuring the case will expand to conform to the chamber.

Shoot the brass in the rifle with a bullet.
This is the easiest way to fireform brass that does not need special attention to detail.

Cheers.
Which brass do you start with? I know the 7 stw is necked down from a different caliber. As the 280 Remington is to the 280 AI where the shoulder angle was changed fire forming there is cake. Where I am at is, thinking of getting a STW built and started looking for brass, the other components are on the shelf. In this day and age find the components first. My smith can assemble pretty quick after hunting season

Last edited:
Which brass do you start with? I know the 7 stw is necked down from a different caliber. As the 280 Remington is to the 280 AI where the shoulder angle was changed fire forming there is cake. Where I am at is, thinking of getting a STW built and started looking for brass, the other components are on the shelf. In this day and age find the components first. My smith can assemble pretty quick after hunting season
8mm Remington Mag, 375 H&H Mag

I bought 200 pieces of Remington brand 7STW brass without any problems.
It was bulk brass in 100 count bags, they also had 8RM brass in the same 100 count bags, but it was half again dearer, so I didn't buy it.
If you want to fireform from another case, use the COW method with H&H brass, this is how I form my 375 Weatherby brass. Around 30g of Universal, paper wad over powder, Cream of Wheat and a twist of TP in the case neck, formed cases come out 99% formed.

Cheers.

So take either a 8 mm or a 375 size it to a 7mm stw prime and load as if it is the stw?
I'd drop the charge a bit for the first pass... 5% to 10% if you are using the h@h rounds, but the 8rem should be able to go full throttle right away... pretty sure the nosler 300 roy would be close enough for near full throttle right away too...

What is the easiest way to fire form brass for the 7mm STW. I have powder, primers, and brass

You have brass? What brass? If 7mm STW then load and shoot just like you would any other cartridge...contrary to internet experts...this isn't rocket surgery...

If you want to go full bench-rest, pull the ejector out and take detailed measurements of neck runout before and after.

i'm kidding fox tv GIF by Last Man Standing

I have bulk bullets I use for fireforming. With reduced loads, they are very accurate. More fun than making a mess in the garage, but maybe not possible now with the Biden bullet shortage.