Fire forming 30/06AI question

I would use regular old .30-06 brass. No trimming, and simple to buy and pickup at the range. Heck, you can even buy some nice Lapua 30-06 brass for about $1.00 each. And that's the best brass on the planet. Norma/Nosler brass is right up there, too.

Plus, load data is fairly simple for the AI once you form your brass. Start with .30-06 load data then slowly work your way up till you find pressure signs.

Also, when you fire-form the brass, once he resets the chamber, use a light load of powder. Too hefty of a load can cause the necks and shoulders to split during expansion. I use about 45gr of Alliant Reloder 19 and a cheap Nosler Custom Comp 155gr bullet.

For $165, that's not too bad, especially compared to what I have heard some folks charge. For $165, you might can talk him into truing that action for you, and working the trigger, as well... You know, while he's already got it broken-down in pieces and sitting on the bench. :D

The rifle is in very nice shape so I think I will have him go ahead and do it. Including the cost of the rifle I will have around 700 into it. That includes the barrel work, brake, lapping the bolt, truing the action, Timney trigger, pillars installed, glass bedded and free floated. I have an SWFA 6x to topp it off so it should be a good mid range Deer rifle. The 1-11 twist should do well with the 168 class bullet I want to stay around. Thanks for all your help. I'll update when I get it back and start the load development.

The rifle is in very nice shape so I think I will have him go ahead and do it. Including the cost of the rifle I will have around 700 into it. That includes the barrel work, brake, lapping the bolt, truing the action, Timney trigger, pillars installed, glass bedded and free floated. I have an SWFA 6x to topp it off so it should be a good mid range Deer rifle. The 1-11 twist should do well with the 168 class bullet I want to stay around. Thanks for all your help. I'll update when I get it back and start the load development.
If it has a 1:11 twist, your bullet options are 90% limitless. If it were a 10 twist, you would be limitless.

However, I would look into the Berger 185 and 190 VLD's. And the 200 Hybrids. The 200 Hyrbids appear to be one nasty bullet and would really help to expand your potential range. Since my 30-06 AI only has a 1:12 twist, I am limited to a maximum bullet weight of the Berger 190 VLD's. The 200 Hybrids would be perfect, but they're recommending for 1:11 or faster. But that still might not stop me from buying a box to try, since I have other rifles that are capable of shooting them. So, I will be shooting the 185 VLD's, since I was able to get my hands on the last 3 boxes of them at the local store...Unfortunately, they were all boxes of Target models (yellow box). So, now I have to find a box of 185 VLD Hunting bullets and I'll be set. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.