Finnaly my 7mm SAUM is alive.

You're right, if you're shots are limited in distance then the 160class bullets are a good choice as their speed overcomes what they give up in BC to the 180. But when the range gets loooong the BC of the 180 will take-over.

Ignorant question here, as I'm in the middle of sorting out my first precision build around a 7mm cartridge, but what sort of ranges are we talking about here?

Ignorant question here, as I'm in the middle of sorting out my first precision build around a 7mm cartridge, but what sort of ranges are we talking about here?

Generally speaking, inside 600 yards velocity can trump BC. When you get past 600 and velocity starts to bleed off, the higher BC bullets begin to take over in drop and most importantly in wind drift.

Looking very nice Trucraft!!!
I too decided to go the 7mm caliber route and decided to go with the 280 Ackley running the 162 A-max!!!!
When shooting those 7mm bullets at long range , they sure make me smile!!!
Enjoy your new rifle ........
Ray.

Looking very nice Trucraft!!!
I too decided to go the 7mm caliber route and decided to go with the 280 Ackley running the 162 A-max!!!!
When shooting those 7mm bullets at long range , they sure make me smile!!!
Enjoy your new rifle ........
Ray.

Thanks Ray,
Did U post a thread on your rig? Think I read it a while back.
I very nearly went with 280AI, Great calibre.
How U finding stocks of Amax over here?
I had 200 in the safe a few months back till I read they we going to discontinue them. So decided to concentrate on 168 Bergers and Nosler AB. If the weather was a bit more settled I could get out and start load testing over the holidays. Flooding and high winds at the mo round here. Just what U want when you have a new toy that needs to be brocken in.

Thanks Ray,
Did U post a thread on your rig? Think I read it a while back.
I very nearly went with 280AI, Great calibre.
How U finding stocks of Amax over here?
I had 200 in the safe a few months back till I read they we going to discontinue them. So decided to concentrate on 168 Bergers and Nosler AB. If the weather was a bit more settled I could get out and start load testing over the holidays. Flooding and high winds at the mo round here. Just what U want when you have a new toy that needs to be brocken in.

Hi mate ,
Yes i did put a post up about my 280 Ackley!!!
I like the thought of good quality Nosler custom ready formed brass too!!!
As for the 162 A-max , yes getting hold of them can be a bit thin on the ground but thanks to some good contacts i was able to get a 1000 of them in!!!
As i use them for hunting and they shoot well , i wanted to make sure i had plenty to last me as i am lead to believe Hornady has just suspended production and not discontinued them!!
Know what you are saying about the stormy weather as i was on call last week - out clearing storm blown trees and clearing foods!!!
Hope you dont mind - heres a quick video of when all my load development was done and long range testing , i went out hunting / Fox at 260yds / bunnies at 240 and 326yds.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cio9FS12Rm4
As you can see by the video those 162s have plenty of downrange energy...
Enjoy your new rifle and shall look forward to future installments of how you get on with the rifle...
Ray..

So finally got to the range yesterday on a bright frosty morning.

First job was to break the barrel in which proved simple and after less than 10 shots the Kreiger was cleaning up nicely with only a few patches.

This was the first time shooting the SAUM and with my new 6 baffle Atec Maxim mod the sound and recoil was punchy but very manageable. Weighing well under 17oz I'm really happy with the Maxim.

My Accubond and H1000 compressed loads all shot well some showed vertical while the others showed real promise and good velocity. Unfortunately the two best groups in this combo had ejector marks and sticky bolt. This was around 65 - 65.5grns.
The N560 and 168 Bergers showed again that the top end was best at 60grns, though no pressure signs here.
I will put some target pic's up soon with velocities soon.

At least I have something to work on now and know i've bedded and bolted it all together right.:)

Last round of the morning was saved for a doe!

Thanks for the update trucraft and that rifle is looking good!!!
Well you got the running in bit out the way now so i shall look forward to see how she groups / velocity / and what ends up working well for the rifle!!!
Then perhaps some hunting with it???
All the very best ,
Ray...

Thanks for the updates and pics. My custom 7 SAUM loves 62gr of H1000 and the 180gr Berger Hybrid. I've never tried any of the V powders.

This is the AB 160grn and H1000 retest.
My first test of the day showed two nodes, one around 63.5grn and the other at 65grn. So i loaded and re checked and this is the result.
The paper was quite damp as u can see by the tearing but the card behind showed the true groups way nicer. (Shame I left it at the range.)

All shot round robbin with three shot groups @ 100yrds except the bottom right (63.8grn) which is five shots. (I pulled the flyer to the left of this group!)

65, 65.2 and 65.5 all showed ejector marks and some stiff bolt lift particularly 65.5 shame as that was a sweet group. 65grns = 2998fps
So I went back and tested the bottom two loads
63.5 had too much vertical so I will now play with the seating depth on 63.8grns @2977fps.

I very happy with the velocity in a brand new barrel particularly as Hodgon say 67grns @ 2931 is max.

The 168 bergers and Vit N560 didn't look as good but still gave me 1/2" five round groups with 60grns @2913fps
This I'm sure will shrink once I find a sweet spot to seat the bullet.

Thanks for posting the groups up Trucraft!!
Looking good and shall be interesting to see what happens when you play with the seating depth!!
Did you start your loads with them kissing the lands???
Only the reason i ask , when i have a new rifle or barrel , i pick what bullet i plan to use , load it to kiss the lands , find the powder charge it likes , then load the said charge back in 5 thou increments up to 50 thou back off - usually find that the A-maxs shoot well for me when kissing the lands though!!!
But as you are using Bergers i understand the VLDs like to be jammed into the lands!!
All the best ,
Ray...

Thought i would up date this thread now the rifle has 200 rounds down it and shot well out to 800yrds.
Only one deer has fallen to it so far but have a trip to Scotland in the Autumn planned.

I decided to give the stock a new paint job and try my hand at Duracoating for the first time. I have never been happy with the colours of the current flectarn so i ordered some Cadpat light green, Sako green, coyote tan and Flat black.
I made some stencils in M90 Swedish camo and it came out like this.

It's looks more gloss in the photos the true colour is quite flat.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.