My CSR .338 Edge is in!!

Certainly looks like an accurate load. What kind of velocity are you getting? Are you seeing any pressure signs? I'm no expert, but I think you might be able to get a few more grains of powder in the case before you find a pressure point.

It's pretty modest, 2780fps. I've been having a few pressure signs with the ejector marks showing. But I believe that it was due to having the bullet sitting at the lands. I backed up the bullet .020" and produced the above group. A couple peices of the brass still had a slight mark but no more brass flowing into the ejecter itself.

Looks like the barrel had settled down. The velocity and ES has settled in at 2735fps and ES 10.

I have no pressure signs and shooting a little slower than most Edges are shooting the 300gr pills.

Would you all try to gain some speed, maybe get it a little closer to 2800 fps or should I leave well enough alone and not worry about a little more speed? Probable give me a few more loading on the brass as well.

Looks like the barrel had settled down. The velocity and ES has settled in at 2735fps and ES 10.

I have no pressure signs and shooting a little slower than most Edges are shooting the 300gr pills.

Would you all try to gain some speed, maybe get it a little closer to 2800 fps or should I leave well enough alone and not worry about a little more speed? Probable give me a few more loading on the brass as well.

It's always in our nature to get the absolute most out of everything. I am facing the same question right now with one of my guns, and I really want to try and squeeze every last FPS out of the load... But, I think I am going to force myself to leave well enough alone, as there is no real world benefit from gaining an extra 75 fps. And there are some upsides of not having a max load. less recoil, longer life out of the barrel and brass to name a few.

But with your gun, I guess you could argue that you would gain xxx yards of extra range, and what you have sure is a long range machine. And I don't think anybody here would fault you for trying! Let us know what you decide!gun)

I think it will be thorn in my side if I don't just load 9 rounds to see where I get velocity wise at 90.5, 91 and 91.5 grns and see it they group at 300 yards.

I did initially test 90.5 and 91grns but backed off because of slight extractor marks. but then I realized it was due to having the bullet seated into the lands causing the increased pressure.

I think it will be thorn in my side if I don't just load 9 rounds to see where I get velocity wise at 90.5, 91 and 91.5 grns and see it they group at 300 yards.

I did initially test 90.5 and 91grns but backed off because of slight extractor marks. but then I realized it was due to having the bullet seated into the lands causing the increased pressure.

can't wait to hear how the hotter loads group!

Scott, normally new barrels shoot the same load a little slower than the same load after they have about 100 rounds down the tube.

I would just shoot that load till you hit the 100 round mark and chronograph again. At that point you can tweak the load.

With a 5 mph wind at 1500 yards your bullet is going to
only drift a lil over 1 in less. I started out with 300 SMKs
in my EDGE IMP at 2776 fps and they were 3/4 Moa out
to a mile all day long in good conditions. Then the berger
Hybrid came out I switched, higher BC, better ballistics.
Oh and I was ussaly .5 MOA within my cold bore shot with
the SMK's out to 1400 yds. the bergers group excellent at long
range it's just
a lot of work and data gathering for a small gain over a good
set up I already had. I guess my point is dont go looking for greener
grass when your feet are already in it. It's ussaly not worth
it ballisticaly in some instances. Also lots of rounds to dial
your ballistic program back on. But is it worth a try to load up
up some rounds and try, definatley, and if it doesn't
work out you always have a load to fall back on.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.