Finishing up my rifle setup - sling and bipod

CleanShot

Hi

So my rifle and scope are all zeroed and ready for the field EXCEPT I still need a few accessories to be complete. I need a sling and potentially a bipod. So I wanted to request some help and solicit some feedback from you folks.

Here are the two slings I'm considering:
  1. Slogan Ultraflex -$35
  2. Tab Gear Sling - $135

As for the bipod, does anyone ever use one in the field? I feel like it's more likely that you use your pack or something higher than the average bipod. If it's useful than I'm looking at the Harris HBRMS as my top choice.

Anyone with some true experience they can share?

Thanks
Sam

I use a nylon web version of the traditional "GI" rifle sling, with the front loop set to length for use as a proper shooting sling when needed. I have harris bipods, and usually have one in my pack, but am almost always set up on my trekking poles as shooting sticks due to grass/brush/etc being too tall for the bipod and prone position. The TAB gear sling looks like a really well made unit, but a bit pricey for the relatively few times I get to shoot "slung-up".

If you decide on using a bipod, look real hard at the Atlas. I have both Harris and Atlas and the Atlas is much more superior in my opinion than the Harris.

Atlas is way too expensive. I'm not even close to interested in them. Many competition shooters successful use the Harris and reading the above comments makes me believe a bipod isn't a necessary accessory.

In my opinion, the bipod decision comes down to the distance you plan on shooting. If you're gonna keep it under 500 yards, a pack or shooting sticks will work. If you are planning on shooting 800-1000 yards, a bipod is an absolute must.

I am using the slogan on two of my hunting rifles and am very satisfied with it. It will hold tight to your shoulder or support arm as a standard sling and gives the option to run as a two shoulder rig as well. Dying I prefer the magnum sling for both the added shoulder strap width and overall length.

If money is an issue and quality equipment is not a priority, then by all means purchase what you can afford.

Based on my experience and knowledge, I would want a bipod as a necessary shooting aid for predictable shot placement at longer ranges. It is very difficult to be steady and consistent shooting off a Pack or sticks.

Just my opinion.

I have the TAB Biathlon Elite sling. It is the best sling I have used. I have the Sloan, and a TON of other slings. For comfort, and slinging in to your rifle, the TAB is one of the best out there. I have the one with the cobra buckles which allows very quick access to your rifle.

If money is an issue and quality equipment is not a priority, then by all means purchase what you can afford.

Based on my experience and knowledge, I would want a bipod as a necessary shooting aid for predictable shot placement at longer ranges. It is very difficult to be steady and consistent shooting off a Pack or sticks.

Just my opinion.

+1! For me the bipod serves 2 purpose ...

1. To provide a stable platform as noted above.
2. To provide a safe means to secure the rifle while at rest, glassing, or relieving myself. :D:rolleyes::cool:

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.