McMillan A5 sling/bipod mounts

4xforfun

Gotta ask a dumb question....AGAIN!!!

Just got my friends rig back. Bat 1.55 "M" 300 wby. Going out to get the zeros figured out. I figured on using the bipod with rear bag instead of my front rest since that is how it will be fired in the field.. This A5 has two studs on the front and one on the back....just regular studs found on any regular hunting gun. I assumed (yah....I know) that the front stud would be for the bipod and the back stud would be for the sling. That way the sling would not interfear with the bipod. The Harris bipod (tilt model) only fits on the rear stud...the studs are 1/8 inch to close together to fit the other way.

Is this the proper way to mount a bipod..sling on the front stud and bipod on the back???? I figured maybe it was this way so the sling would not interfear with the knob on the back of the bipod that is used to tighten the "tilt" feature, but I can't see that that would be a problem.

My bipods are either the B-Square roto-tilt or the standard no thrills Harris, which I don't have with me to check at the moment, but I think would fit on the front stud since I think it is smaller.

Told you it was a dumb qiestion!!

Another dumb question....have you ever seen a zero change when switching from a front rest to a bipod...assuming (there's that word again) a stiff stock and fully floted BBL?

Thanks!!

Just mounted the bipod on the back stud and looked again.. This configuration makes the front stud un-usable.....the bipod compleatly covers the front stud. Looks like the bipod needs to be on the back stud and the sling would need to be attached directly to the bipod, which is how my other bipods are anyway on my single stud hunting guns......so....why the two studs????

This stock also has three holes (plugs, maybe) that take a 1/4 inch ellen wrench. One on the side and two on the bottom. I tryed to loosen them and they wouldn't budge. I am assuming (AGAIN) that they will come out if I twist hard enough, but really don't need to remove them just to "see" what they do.

What are they for?

The stock was already built and sitting at McMillan. From the inital phone call to McMillan to the finished, bedded and ready to fire rig took two weeks total.....WAY better that the 4 months to S/O a stock!!!!!!!

I now have a headach!!!:D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.