Help with picatinny for Atlas bipod with sling mount

SumTingWong

Just got a new Win M70 Super Grade, and have an Atlas BT47-LW17 bipod to install.
On BT's website, their video shows drilling the front stock to accommodate their T-nuts.

My goal is to NOT have to drill the stock, and find a rail that will screw in, AND accommodate some kind of QD sling.

I put the question on this forum, as I'd love to hear suggestions for a HUNTING setup.

Here is a pic of my current front sling mount:

20190615_144514 (2).jpg

And here is a pic of what BT recommends:

bt15-335-1913-rail.jpg

The BT rep says this rail has a built-in QD socket.

>>> So...my question is...will this rail work without drilling?
>>> And, if so, should I buy BT's screw kit and throw away the T-nuts?
>>> The last question would be for a recommendation on QD that would be good for hunting, AND fit into this rail.
I'm completely unfamiliar with this hardware, as I'm new to hunting.

I appreciate the help!

Just got a new Win M70 Super Grade, and have an Atlas BT47-LW17 bipod to install.
On BT's website, their video shows drilling the front stock to accommodate their T-nuts.

My goal is to NOT have to drill the stock, and find a rail that will screw in, AND accommodate some kind of QD sling.

I put the question on this forum, as I'd love to hear suggestions for a HUNTING setup.

Here is a pic of my current front sling mount:

View attachment 138339

And here is a pic of what BT recommends:

View attachment 138340

The BT rep says this rail has a built-in QD socket.

>>> So...my question is...will this rail work without drilling?
>>> And, if so, should I buy BT's screw kit and throw away the T-nuts?
>>> The last question would be for a recommendation on QD that would be good for hunting, AND fit into this rail.
I'm completely unfamiliar with this hardware, as I'm new to hunting.

I appreciate the help!

You would need to drill 1 hole in your stock and use 1 existing hole to use that rail. I usually buy threaded brass inserts from Brownells and epoxy them in so it looks good even if you remove the rail later.

I'm thinking about doing the drilling method. I have all the tools needed, was just leery of drilling into my pretty brand new stock. But hey, it's for a good cause!

As I'm new to hunting, how is the QD sling usually set up?
Meaning, is the QD hole in the front picatinny behind or in front of the bipod?
I would guess behind, for several reasons.

Also, how is the rear of the strap attached? I there another QD at the rear, and if so, co they make a small QD mount so I don't have to do any drilling at the rear?

I'm thinking about doing the drilling method. I have all the tools needed, was just leery of drilling into my pretty brand new stock. But hey, it's for a good cause!

As I'm new to hunting, how is the QD sling usually set up?
Meaning, is the QD hole in the front picatinny behind or in front of the bipod?
I would guess behind, for several reasons.

Also, how is the rear of the strap attached? I there another QD at the rear, and if so, co they make a small QD mount so I don't have to do any drilling at the rear?
I have a couple of the atlas rails on rifles, and the QD mount goes towards the buttstock (rear). You don't want your sling to get hung-up on your bipod - or at least I don't.

I've switched all my rifles to have flush cups to accept QD sling swivel mounts. I would suggest installing two new flush cups on the left side (for right handed rifle). To me, a rifle carries so much better this way, and you don't have the bipod poking you in the back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts