Fine tuning loads lee factory crimp die

at various times with different rifles when I was way more anal. I just some nosler 280 improved brass seated a bullet for the 280 and necked down the new 280improved to 6.5 x280. That 3 shot group at 1120 out of new brass straight out of the box is outstanding. I wish I had had another 7 rounds for a proper group conditions were perfect! Even two more would have been cool. I would have had to buy all new hats though if two more went into that cluster. One of the guys measured the group . I wish I knew the name of this appView attachment 135245

Truly amazing work.

In that picture, it's also saying the group is .75". So, if a golf ball is 1.68" and you can't quite cover the third impact, I'd say that group size is inaccurate for sure.
A golfball would swallow that group.

A splatted 6.5 is going to be somewhere around 7-7.5mm in diameter so you can easily estimate he maximum spread of group.

I think one of you should do a little how to thread for mandrel sizing. Like what's needed to get started and the do's and dont's. It sounds like a simple and straightforward process that could improve most people's loading practices. I'd certainly be interested.

I think one of you should do a little how to thread for mandrel sizing. Like what's needed to get started and the do's and dont's. It sounds like a simple and straightforward process that could improve most people's loading practices. I'd certainly be interested.

I could possibly work on something like that. It actually is pretty straightforward. It's a cheap and easy method. The components needed are not expensive. Guys spend hundreds of dollars on die sets that actually don't produce any better results. I'm included there lol.

His measurements were way off. yours are spot on.You do realize I will most likely want to show you that group two or 3 more times tonight

Haha. I don't blame you. It's one of those instances where a guy has to give you the benefit of the doubt. I have no reason to not believe you.

Haha. I don't blame you. It's one of those instances where a guy has to give you the benefit of the doubt. I have no reason to not believe you.

its funny you say that. I was active on the FB 280 improved page. So I posted the photo and load data. Some dim wit called me a liar. I spent the last two years volunteering as a RSO and instructor at a 1100 yard range ten minutes from my house. So I had photo documentation of me standing near similar groups at marked yardages. so I layed it on thick. He told me to provide a witness. I was coaching a new member 19 year old service men who had asked for some help. So I had a witness, but just could not help my self. I explained that if I were to bother the young man to sign on and give testimony it would be a mistake. Because some one might actuary think I gave a ----- what he believed. I invited him down to New Orleans with instruction to bring 1000 bucks and that we would shoot for 100 bucks a shot winner take all. He must of been sleeping with the moderator I got banned Lol.

Petey its your system "let them have it" as said by the special man On a very old but well know commercial that played in new orleans In the 70's

There have been quite a few threads on the subject over the years in the reloading forum.

Bench rest guys load individually so that their rounds are not subjected to bullet seating depth variances caused by rounds bouncing around in the magazine of hunting rifles. You just had to make a snide remark to that newbie to show how smart you aren't. By comparing his LRH question to the benchrest environment, it merely shows you do not have the depth of knowledge you thought you had.

Crimping has ZERO to do with seating individual bullets to the exact same depth by seating short, measuring, and then adjust a micrometer to get the bullet to the exact spec, but nice try. It was not a "snide" remark. It was a point. I will repeat. Let me know when bench rest guys are crimping. So obviously you either can't read or don't understand. I will also repeat if you are taking long range shots at game you better have everything as perfect as it can be and I can guarantee the benchrest guys absolutely do. We are not supposed to disguise ethics on the forum but I really believe the intent of that is such that people who have a problem with long range hunting are not bashing those that do it. I which case I will state if you are not doing everything possible to have everything, including your loads in order you should not be shooting game long range. I absolutely do not know everything nor would I ever consider myself an expert but what I will tell you will 100 percent certainty is at this point it the game I seriously doubt you can find a loading method I have not tried. Some work some are a waste of time and money. I feel very sorry for new guys coming to this forum and getting pounded by keyboard ninjas. I can promise one thing. If I am stating it I have tried it. I do not post speculation unless in the form of a question. I could not care less about what the KNOW EVERYTHINGS do or think but I do have as strong concern for new guys. My posting days are numbered on this forum because bystanders can not distinguish the difference between those who know and those who don't and I am not going to continue to be dragged into the mud.

Crimping has ZERO to do with seating individual bullets to the exact same depth by seating short, measuring, and then adjust a micrometer to get the bullet to the exact spec, but nice try. It was not a "snide" remark. It was a point. I will repeat. Let me know when bench rest guys are crimping. So obviously you either can't read or don't understand. I will also repeat if you are taking long range shots at game you better have everything as perfect as it can be and I can guarantee the benchrest guys absolutely do. We are not supposed to disguise ethics on the forum but I really believe the intent of that is such that people who have a problem with long range hunting are not bashing those that do it. I which case I will state if you are not doing everything possible to have everything, including your loads in order you should not be shooting game long range. I absolutely do not know everything nor would I ever consider myself an expert but what I will tell you will 100 percent certainty is at this point it the game I seriously doubt you can find a loading method I have not tried. Some work some are a waste of time and money. I feel very sorry for new guys coming to this forum and getting pounded by keyboard ninjas. I can promise one thing. If I am stating it I have tried it. I do not post speculation unless in the form of a question. I could not care less about what the KNOW EVERYTHINGS do or think but I do have as strong concern for new guys. My posting days are numbered on this forum because bystanders can not distinguish the difference between those who know and those who don't and I am not going to continue to be dragged into the mud.
Crimping prevents bullet creep or walking in magazines on rounds loaded with minimal neck tension.

If you're loading rounds individually that walk/creep isn't an issue in the mag.

That was the whole point.

Crimping prevents bullet creep or walking in magazines on rounds loaded with minimal neck tension.

If you're loading rounds individually that walk/creep isn't an issue in the mag.

That was the whole point.

That does make his statement make more sense but I load every one of my hunting rounds with .002 neck tension. I load everyone from a magazine. They are carried in trucks over countless miles of rough roads. I load my rifles in 4 wheelers over long distances. Never have I encounter an accuracy issue from a bullet moving. I completely understand the thought behind crimping and will NEVER do it. If you truly are concerned with a bullet moving add a little neck tension. So I will repeat it is not conducive to accuracy and I have never encountered an issue with the very thing it is trying to stop. Like I said early I can lead a horse to water but can not make it drink. Go ahead and crimp. It means nothing to me.

That does make his statement make more sense but I load every one of my hunting rounds with .002 neck tension. I load everyone from a magazine. They are carried in trucks over countless miles of rough roads. I load my rifles in 4 wheelers over long distances. Never have I encounter an accuracy issue from a bullet moving. I completely understand the thought behind crimping and will NEVER do it. If you truly are concerned with a bullet moving add a little neck tension. So I will repeat it is not conducive to accuracy and I have never encountered an issue with the very thing it is trying to stop. Like I said early I can lead a horse to water but can not make it drink. Go ahead and crimp. It means nothing to me.
And my testing and the testing of many others has proven that not to be true. You can load with less neck tension, almost none at all but keep the bullets from walking by simply crimping.

Bench rest guys have been loading rounds so loose they'd all but fall out of the case for decades because they find it more accurate. Adding a crimp allows us to do the same thing without any worry of bullet walk.

I can literally load my rounds with my fingers and then just run them through the die for length, set the crimp and run.

I didn't believe it either until I tried it and compared the same exact loads, loaded traditionally, shot in the same rifles and significantly tightened up my groups ES, and SD down into single digits.

I've been shooting pretty well for decades and I'm shooting tighter groups today since starting this process than I've ever shot in my life using the exact same components and rifles.

Quite a few others have had similar results.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.