Fine tuning loads lee factory crimp die

When you use a crimp on a cartridge, you completely change the load, and have to start over.
That certainly isn't true.

You may have to do some tweaking and tuning but you certainly shouldn't have to start over.

When I started doing the light crimp I first experimented just with the .260, then the 700STW, and quickly expanded it to all of the other rounds I load from, from .220 swifth through .375 Ruger.

I own at least two rifles in each of those calibers and 3 in many of them and I found that in none of them did it require anything other than slight tweaking of the load.

If you've done all the above, and you're still getting high ES, something either wasn't done right, or you have an inferior component or piece of equipment. Is 20fps ES the best you can get out of any load during load development?
at various times with different rifles when I was way more anal. I just some nosler 280 improved brass seated a bullet for the 280 and necked down the new 280improved to 6.5 x280. That 3 shot group at 1120 out of new brass straight out of the box is outstanding. I wish I had had another 7 rounds for a proper group conditions were perfect! Even two more would have been cool. I would have had to buy all new hats though if two more went into that cluster. One of the guys measured the group . I wish I knew the name of this app
IMG_0171.JPG

at various times with different rifles when I was way more anal. I just some nosler 280 improved brass seated a bullet for the 280 and necked down the new 280improved to 6.5 x280. That 3 shot group at 1120 out of new brass straight out of the box is outstanding. I wish I had had another 7 rounds for a proper group conditions were perfect! Even two more would have been cool. I would have had to buy all new hats though if two more went into that cluster. One of the guys measured the group . I wish I knew the name of this appView attachment 135245
IYpZW1gFRI6Wdf%pzs0vqg.jpg

at various times with different rifles when I was way more anal. I just some nosler 280 improved brass seated a bullet for the 280 and necked down the new 280improved to 6.5 x280. That 3 shot group at 1120 out of new brass straight out of the box is outstanding. I wish I had had another 7 rounds for a proper group conditions were perfect! Even two more would have been cool. I would have had to buy all new hats though if two more went into that cluster. One of the guys measured the group . I wish I knew the name of this appView attachment 135245

Pretty impressive. The app is either RangeBuddy or SubMOA, depending on if you have an Android or iOS device.

those measurement are off. You could have hidden two shots and most of the 3rd with a golf ball

those measurement are off. You could have hidden two shots and most of the 3rd with a golf ball
You need to have a known distance on the target to tell the app the scale so it can accurately determine the group size. I have the app. It's very handy.
according to the ledger he put 1120 yards in maybe bullet splash makes it look bigger

according to the ledger he put 1120 yards in maybe bullet splash makes it look bigger

He put 1124 yards as the distance to the target, but I mean you have to tell the app what the actual distance is from one point on the target to another. Like, if you had a 1" sticker on the target, you could tell the app that the sticker is 1" across. It'll use that info, along with bullet diameter, to determine the groups size. It determines the MOA by the distance to the target and the calculated group size. It's only as accurate as the info you input.

You tell the app the distance to the target, the bullet size, a known measurement on the target itself, and then you select the center of each impact. It will calculate the rest for you.

8ACC0FA1-724E-42CA-BC54-1D82278F915D.jpeg

Here's what I got. I said it was 1120 yards, it's 2" from the edge of the black on left impact to the edge of the black on the right impact. I told it that the bullets are .264" in diameter. I did my best to try to select the center of each impact.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts