Finally the ELK TAG is MINE!

Kenster-Boy

Wooo Hooo, I drew a antlerless elk tag this year. It only took me 6 years to do it but I finally got it. The only problem is that I don't know ANYTHING about elk hunting as I have never done it and never paid much attention to the elk hunting shows.

I really hope to kill one at long range (800+). My shooting is plenty sufficient at 600. I need to find a place to practice a little furthur and I will be in buisness. I have heard that the 160gr. Accubond is the best 7mm bullet for elk (short, and long range).

This hunt takes place in the redwoods therefore if I find the elk in the clear cuts the shots could be REALLY LONG but if they aren't in the cuts then I have to find em in deep timber where the shots will be 20 yards MAX. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Oh and I forgot to mention that I am shooting a 7mm rem mag. I have a good load for the 175 SMK as well but I don't know how that would perform on the close range shots. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I was watching elk country journal on T.V. and they were hunting elk up in the Klamath Falls area and they shot an elk at about 50 yards in the deep timber, so I would suspect that if your hunting timber you could expect a close shot, but maybe if you sit in the clear cuts you may get a longer shot. The only range I know of in California that goes out to 1000 yards is in Sacramento, But you have to be a member or a guest of a member to shoot the 1000 yard range.

Yeah like I said, If I can I want to shoot an elk out of the clear cuts that are sometimes 1500+ across. But if push comes to shove I will have to dig them out of the dense underbrush of the redwoods. So shot distances can vary HUGELY so that is why I am looking for the most versitile bullet out there.

7mmag man,
Congrats on your tag. If I was elk hunting with the 7mm Rem Mag, I woul look into the Norler accubond 160 grains, it has a nice bc of 0.531 and based on what I have read here it won't let you down at long range or short range.
http://www.nosler.com/chartaccubond.html
Good Hunting!

[ QUOTE ]
7mmag man,
Congrats on your tag. If I was elk hunting with the 7mm Rem Mag, I woul look into the Norler accubond 160 grains, it has a nice bc of 0.531 and based on what I have read here it won't let you down at long range or short range.
Good Hunting!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree. Accubond all the way, put that bullet where it needs to go and you'll be set.

Congrats by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I find the 160 Accubond to be very accurate and the BC is not that far off the 175 SMK. The extra money is worth the convience of not having to swap bullets around in your chamber.

Thanks folks, I figured that the accubond was what I needed and after seeing the results GoodGrouper had at 820 yards it sounds like it will fit the bill nicely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
7mmag man,
Good Hunting!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree. Accubond all the way, put that bullet where it needs to go and you'll be set.

Congrats by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats. Remember a minimum impact velocity of 1800 fps is required for proper expansion for the AB.

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats. Remember a minimum impact velocity of 1800 fps is required for proper expansion for the AB.

[/ QUOTE ]

UH OH. . . That is gonna pose a problem for me. That will limit my range to about 750 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I was hoping for a maximum of at least 1000. DANGIT Well maybe the old Sierra Matchking is gonna go through some extensive testing before I go hunting for elk. I may have to start shooting some phone books with different bullets to truly decide for myself which bullet is gonna be the best choice.

Now ya had to go make things confusing (but thanks for the heads up) looks like I have some homework to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

No fear man!

Screw the MK's. This is elk! I have been hunting them every year for as long as I can remember here in Wyoming. They are very tenacious of life! Even when I shot them with my 378 WBY!

Wnat a serious super accurate super high BC HUNTING bullet? Here you go. These open up at 1200 fps. I know!

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/02hv.html

Maybe I was just dreaming when I thought of shooting elk at 1000 yards with a 7mm rem mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I may just have to go with the accubond and set my limit at 800. DARN!

Oh well I am still gonna shoot up some phone books to totally decide for myself on what is the right set up.

[ QUOTE ]
Too bad Groove Bullets is no longer around. I thought they were just about perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a moderator on their site. I still have 7mm and 30 cal Grooves at home. Wanna buy some?

7MM Where did you draw from, I drew from CO durring the OCT 22-30 cow elk hunt. I have never been either.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.