applying for Idaho elk tag?????

motrapper

what would be the best areas units for a nonresident to apply for. and any other tips. just moved to Utah and want to take advantage of being in the west. So any help would be appreciated
thanks this link has some NE. deer pics anyone interested in White tail deer??
sidhttp://picasaweb.google.com/chebenton/Hunting?authkey=Mpk2HNLM5s4

Last edited:
Considering that you are in Sandy and new to the area I would suggest that the Bear River units, in particular Unit 75, have a good success rate and are close to you so you can day trip (more or less) and scout. That is some beautiful country up around Bear Lake. First double check and make sure it is a public lands unit. There were only about 600 hunters in the unit and they had a good success rate.

You can go up on the Idaho Fish and Game website and check the success rates of other units. I hunt in the Salmon unit. Of that Unit, the #36 has a low success rate but the others are such that a reasonably decent hunter will kill an elk.

One of the good things about Idaho is you can change your unit right up until the season opens. If you buy a nonresident deer tag you can use it to shoot a bear or mountian lion if you should see one. Of course once you use it, it is used up.

It helps if you actually know how to hunt elk. If you don't know how to hunt elk then PM me or go up on the "How to Hunt" section and ask. I am no great expert but I don't mind typing and helping you along. I hunt my way but I know how to hunt the normal way and if I get in the mood to spill elk blood I can but I don't get a big thrill just from killing much any more.

You are invited to view Cheryl's photo album: Hunting

Hunting
Ord, Nebraska -
Dec 11, 2007
by Cheryl
Nebraska Hunting Trip - Thanksgiving 07'

View Album
Play slideshow

Message from Cheryl:
Sid's Hunting pictures.

If you are having problems viewing this email, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://picasaweb.google.com/chebenton/Hunting?authkey=Mpk2HNLM5s4
To share your photos or receive notification when your friends share photos, get your own free Picasa Web Albums account.

Buffalobob this is the Nebraska hunt for white tails and yes i would appreciate getting your input and advice very much
thanks
sid

Last edited:
The Huntin'Fool Magazine

:)This magazine subscription is $100 a year but well worth it. They give you dray odds and good suggestions for unit to apply for. Members can call them for advice and get phone numbers of members who have hunted in the area for more info. They have a lot of DIY storeys too.

Doesn't Utah have better elk hunting?

I always thought Idaho was a rather poor elk state. I am an Idaho resisdent, but I see more game in Montana and other western states when I travel.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.