Finally the Defensive Edge LRKM is unveiled

i'm guessing it means long range killing machine. i actually have quite a bit of experience with a gun like this. my main goal was to build something shorter so i could pack it through the woods and it is much nicer to transport than the 50+ inch guns most have.one thing i would advise is to use a very firm rear bag. my 2nd version is less than 36" long with a 28" barrel, weighs 8.5 lbs. it's not a gun for you if you're worried about your hair getting out of place when it goes bang!nice design.

Unfortunately we won't have the LRKM or SI-V3 at the Bighorn show. We will have our reloading DVD out in a month or so and volume 3 will be done in the late fall or so. The LRKM we are taking orders forbut the prototype is torn apart for piece and part duplication. Sorry.

a couple thoughts what good does it do to have a gun that is short, but still weigh 15 #'s if my gun weighs that much I am not going to be toting it other than out of my truck to the range or shooting table, length isn't a big deal to me.

also it appears that the scope is mounted to neither the barrel or the action, this would seem like a less reliable way of doing it. or am I missing something.

MR,

"Oh.... something I've always been meaning to ask you... is North Idaho different than South Idaho? "

Cute, they might as well be two different planets.

CC,

There are alot of people who actually carry their heavy rifles some distance (myself being one of them). Also for those that don't it is not wider than most of the newer ATV's. The biggest advantage to the design (besides shorter length) is the weight transfer it is just easier to shoot well. If you would rather have a traditional looking rifle that is a foot longer feel free, this design is not for everyone. The LRKM design was built around the idea of an easier to move and shoot heavy rifle design (although not that heavy really at 14.25 LBS).
On the location of the scope mounting to the tube is not less reliable or less accurate it is just different, not wrong just different. In fact mounting to a stiff tube helped to get away from some of the normal issues of mounting to the action. Also in this design the action floats and doesn't touch the stock in any way, the barrel is mostly free floated as well. The smartest location for the scope was as close as possible to the point where everything is mounted. you will see that is what we did, the scope is mounted just ahead of the barrel nut and over the stock mounting locations. Like I said earlier not less reliable just different.

Each Rifle will come with 4 cheekpieces that go up in 1/8" increments. We could not come up with an adjustable one we liked. I like the fixed version you see in the picuture. If a taller one is needed we made a 2 piece mould that will allow custom heights up to an 1.25".

Shawn,

I know you mentioned this rifle was going to be available in your +P. Have I missed the specs on that or is it still forthcoming?

shawn,

since the +p version still uses h-1000 and still uses the RUM case, it does not appear that you are breaking new ground in a proprietary sort of way. is there a reason you wont share the case geometry with the rest of the world? i have built a couple of EDGE chambered rifles and like them but like most others, i would like to get the most i can out of a standard magnum bolt face. what is the secret?

chuck

OK I have been developing this for a long timeand thanks to the few people who have seen it but kept a lid on it like I asked.
The biggest complaint I have had with LR rifles is the length for any number of reason, cases, portability, platform etc. I had an idea floating around in my head and started work developing it a few years ago. This is the prototype with a Rem 700 action, the finished version will be available on a BAT single shot action only. They will initally be available in 338 Edge (of course), 338 Lapua Mag and 338 Edge +P (more on that later). OAL is only 43" !!!!! Weight will be right around 15 lbs with a NF 5.5-22 NXS and bipod. 85% of the rifles weight is behind the bipod, that makes it ride a bag better than any conventional rifle you ever shot (4.8 lbs bag pressure). Accuracy is outstanding and it is bomb proof. LOP is spacer adjustable, cheekpiece are supplied in 1/8 increments for a total of 1/2" adjustment. The green OD color or Coyote tan will be hard anodized and the black will be Cerakote. We will be ready to start building these very soon, it has been a long but worth while project as it turned out better than expected in the area of performance. Also as you would expect form me it will be availble in both RH and LH unlike most other cool stuff.

PS - I'll send a free copy of Send It volume 2 to the first person to post the correct long version name that LRKM stands for.

LRKM%2001.jpg

LRKM%2002.jpg
Hey Shawn I didnt see your new Long Range Killing Machine at the Big horn show
Dwight Crumpacker

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.