Finally camo'd my 22-250

I've been wanting to camo my rifle for a while but could never get over the part of painting stainless. But I finally came up with a scheme I liked and went with it. I think it turned out good. Had a little time yesterday and went out to shoot, still groups as good as ever, three round group with two touching and one about 3/4 of an inch off at 300 yds.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 131
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 146
Sorry it took a little bit, but here's how I did it.
Materials: 4 Colors, flat clear coat, piece of burlap fabric or something similar, old basketball goal net, tall grass, weeds, etc...

First lay down a base coat of what ever color you would like, I chose tan because I liked the rifle to be mostly tan.

Second, use your piece of burlap fabric to put on a pattern all over the gun of whatever color you would like, I chose brown. This just breaks up your large tan spots and gives a cool effect. I used the pattern in different directions, it's your choice on what you would like.

Third/Forth, use the long stringy end of your old basketball net, the part that hooks to the goal, not the diamond part. What you want is to let those strings fall in a random way across your gun so it makes a tiger stripe look, I did this with tan first to add some solid tan parts to the gun. Then I did the same thing in black to give some contrast/shadow effect on the tan.

Fifth/Sixth, I used green for this step because it kind of looks like grass when you use this. Take your long grass and get a good hand full of it that's about 12 to 18 inches long and hold it very still on the gun or you will get blurry lines that don't look good. Spray only through thin open spots in your grass, you may have to shuffle it around to get the best pattern you're looking for, you'll figure it out. After the green I went back and hit a few spots with brown and the grass because it made everything appear to stand out and look more three dimensional for some reason.

Seventh, spray on your clear, there's a a boundary between enough and too much here. The rule the more the better doesn't apply, or at least I don't think it does.

I sprayed one side with all the effects/patterns and then flipped and did the other side. Then I sprayed clear on each side, make sure each side has thoroughly cured before you flip or the paint/clear will stick to what it's laying on. I'd wait at least a couple hours between flips because mine stuck in a few places, my gun is also pretty heavy which didn't help I'm sure.

Just play around for a few test runs and you'll find something you'll like, painting your baby takes a lot of courage but you'll be happy if you find something you like. I also have some other camo designs I've done that I can post up for ideas if you would like.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 120
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.