Finished my Savage, Finally!!!!

Wear em out and shoot I say...barrels are cheap.

Argument here! Inexpensive but not cheap.:) (relatively speaking)

Unless one is a DIY savage shooter AND still use the nut, the time lost getting the rebarrel job done, even setting it back is the deal breaker.

When it is sent off to a smith it is placed in his queue and you loose control.

That's the part I'm uncomfortable with.

Argument here! Inexpensive but not cheap.:) (relatively speaking)

Unless one is a DIY savage shooter AND still use the nut, the time lost getting the rebarrel job done, even setting it back is the deal breaker.

When it is sent off to a smith it is placed in his queue and you loose control.

That's the part I'm uncomfortable with.

This from a man that owns more guns than Carter has pills, just shoot something else...you know you have 5 of every caliber:D...lol only kidding Roy. I hear ya...to each their own. I plan ahead and just rotate the inventory so to speak and shoot something else for a while...works for me but may not be everyone's cup of tea. I'd also agree it's a pita to break the barrel in and hope it's a shooter but I'm gonna shoot and have fun w/o worrying about round count. No right or wrong just a preference thing.:)

Well you certainly got my attention. I like what youve done with your rifle. Cool paint/flutes, and stock, crowning (saw your other post).....thoe whole darn setup looks nice. You out did yourself.
I like the turrits on that scope. What does a wotac scope run $ wise? Are those the factory turrits? There I go wandering off topic. Sorry.
Great job on ALL the work you did. Not everyone has the tallent to pull it off. Let alone make it look good AND shoot:D.

Thanks man, the scope is as it comes. Wonders Optics is a small Co and the WOtac is his in house optic that he has made to his spec with finish assembly in the states, ya it has over seas parts but I'm not on a Nightforce budget till I get a lathe installed at home. It is 30mm tube ,50mm objective, 80+MOA of adjustment and the reticule is very similar to a NP-R2, it dwarfs all my other scopes and is rugged. I'll admit that it isn't the ultimate optic and he has had his little problems but I like supporting the little guy as long as they back them up and Matt back his scope up like nobody else and as a customer you have input in what you want in an optic. They are $329 which is a steal, I have not owned better glass, sadly, but I have Weaver, Nikon and Leupold and they won't equal the WOtac so I'm going to rock it till I get a Nightforce, but I don't fell like I'm leaving much on the table with it. I'll do a little write up on it soon with pics.

I so dig the reticule that I don't foresee owning any optic that doesn't come with a similar one, cut my groups way down over the target dot I was using.

Wonders Optics Home

Last edited:
Wear em out and shoot I say...barrels are cheap.

Bullets, powder, primers and barrels are consumables!!! If I wasn't doing my own work I may view it different but so far so good with the gunsmithing. I would rather wear a rifle out having tons of fun than save it :D

Rock bustn is my weekend thing to do, gotta load another 100 rounds up this weekend and I bet I blow though them in a couple weeks, with my luck my barrel will be smoked right before hunting season so I really should cool it a little. :D

The new barrel is sitting on the counter table right now waiting for me to get it chambered :D

Bigngreen, thanks for posting the WO link. Took a quick look and scopes look pretty good, will take a closer look later.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.