Finally after all these year bought inch pound torque wrench for rifle scopes

droptine

Thought about posting this in optics but figured this forum was the right place. Really just for grins I bought an inch pound torque wrench on Amazon. Been mounting scopes since I was a kid and hunted all over, never had a problem. My guess I've been over doing it. Anyway it came in today. Thought I'd check a scope I mounted yesterday. If I had to guess I had it torqued to about 15 inch pounds. Scope manufacturer recommended 20 inch pounds. I did it at 20. 15 seemed almost loose.

For grins I'm going to check a few more I need to take to the range in a week or two. Have several projects I've been working on. Be interesting to see how close the others are.

When your retired it doesn't take much to entertain one's self!!!'

Thought about posting this in optics but figured this forum was the right place. Really just for grins I bought an inch pound torque wrench on Amazon. Been mounting scopes since I was a kid and hunted all over, never had a problem. My guess I've been over doing it. Anyway it came in today. Thought I'd check a scope I mounted yesterday. If I had to guess I had it torqued to about 15 inch pounds. Scope manufacturer recommended 20 inch pounds. I did it at 20. 15 seemed almost loose.

For grins I'm going to check a few more I need to take to the range in a week or two. Have several projects I've been working on. Be interesting to see how close the others are.

When your retired it doesn't take much to entertain one's self!!!'
I told my wife…I'm retired so I have to take up golf or long range shooting/precision reloading…..I chose not golf and agree fully, am easily entertained by stuff like torque drivers

Those that question the accuracy of the Wheeler have a valid concern. Myself having access to a plethora of metrology equipment has afforded me the opportunity to test a handful of them. In short, they are never repeatable, being when on the same setting they will test differently every time. The ones I tested would be anywhere from 2 to 8 inlb from the targeted setting. This came about when some friends of mine had some issues over tightening a pic rail and came to me to repair the action. I personally us a Snap On inlb wrench with the clock face dial. I also have Fix It sticks I carry in my pack, and tested mine and a few others. They are pretty darn good. I can get them to test the same each time, however, they may not be exactly the advertised spec, but are always less than 1.3 percent which is small. Technique is a factor when using a torque wrench as well.

I'm using a Snap-on inch lb torque wrench that I have on hand, retired Harley-davidson technician.
I also have the Snap Ons, Toyota tech, but I bought a Smart Torque. And it works so much better for scopes & such. Nice little kit for the money. Not to far off from the SnapOn. And you can put it in your range bag or just carry it along.

Last edited: