Torque Wrench Question

Look on midway and find them. I have a fat wrench and it works pretty well for field adjustments.

It is in Inch pounds and is fairly compact.

There are more accurate ones but they cost more than you want to pay. (The Fat Wrench is
around $70.00.

J E CUSTOM

Wera makes a nice one, around $100. Got mine from MSC. Occasionally on sale for $75. They make several torque 'drivers'. Mine is 'inch pounds', also. I never carry mine 'to the field' unless I've traveled a long distance (like out of state) and then I pack a small tool kit and it is left in camp (gunsmithing in the field isn't recommended).

Last edited:
I like Sears Craftsman.........never had a problem with mine. With any torque wrench.....after you are finished using it, back off the adjustment past "zero".
Leaving tension on the spring will make it go out of calibration and you won't get an accurate reading.

I have the Brownell's inch pound wrench. Comes in a nice hard plastic case which fits in a pack nicely! Great for checking rings and action screws.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.