torque wrench

Loud by design

hey everyone just wondering what type or model of torque wrenches everyone uses. ive got a few pretty good torque wrenches from working on bikes but all of them are ft lbs. im looking for some torque wrench suggestions for one that i can use for my rifles but the only problem is most of them seem to start to high in the tourque range to really be useful. any help is appreciated.

hey everyone just wondering what type or model of torque wrenches everyone uses. ive got a few pretty good torque wrenches from working on bikes but all of them are ft lbs. im looking for some torque wrench suggestions for one that i can use for my rifles but the only problem is most of them seem to start to high in the tourque range to really be useful. any help is appreciated.

I use a precision grade Snap On that is the screw driver type with a dial built into it. Found it on Ebay for about $50, and had it calibrated (was just fine). Remember a torque wrench is most accurate in the middle 65% of it range, and musch less accurate to closer you get to the max and minimum. (all of them) I like the dial type as I can see the reading build up as the screw turns and also if somethings amiss. The best torque wrench I ever used was a digitial one sold by Snap On that was similar to the one I have, but they were very expensive (extremely accurate).
gary

Any recommendations for made in USA in/lb adjustable driver? Needs to go up to 90 in/lb for ring bases and haven't found much. What are you guys using?

Precision Instruments makes torque wrenches & drivers in the USA, they are the maker for Snapon branded torque wrench's

Mine is a Utica Tool. I have had it since Moby Dick was a guppy. Not sure what is available from current mfg.
I use primarily on stock screws and follow mfg.'s torque procedure. Weatherby has a specific procedure for their Mk V's.

Attachments

• IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 53
Precision Instruments makes torque wrenches & drivers in the USA, they are the maker for Snapon branded torque wrench's
YES
hard to find and EXPENSIVE where I live.

I went with the vortex, only goes up to 55 but I have nothing that needs more than 50inlb.
I unscrew it all the way once a year, send it back and get a new calibrated one. The guy I talked to from their customer service said if in doubt smash it and send it in lol

When my wife saw this picture [she designed calibrators with piecewise linearization of polynomials to characterize thermocouples] she said that my weight scale and my ruler were my references.

There are guys here who know more about what I am talking about than I do:(

Attachments

• Checking Harbor Freight $20 inch pound torque wrench 8-2-2011.jpg
    Checking Harbor Freight $20 inch pound torque wrench 8-2-2011.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 57
When my wife saw this picture [she designed calibrators with piecewise linearization of polynomials to characterize thermocouples] she said that my weight scale and my ruler were my references.

There are guys here who know more about what I am talking about than I do:(
OMG the maths. I love it.
While I geek freek for this, I am WAY too lazy.
Also being level and at 90degrees makes a massive difference. Pain in the *** to set up but if you are into benchrest or super long range and don't have $$$$$