Final Word On Nosler Accubond LR

I shoot 190 ABLRs from my 300 WSM and 150's from my 270 WSM.
I've shot mule deer and elk with both from as close as 40 yards (spike elk) to as far as 400 yards (6x6 bull elk) and never had any problems. The big bull was hustling across a small ravine and at the shot he lifted his leg and tipped over backwards.
The deer I've shot (mostly with the 270 WSM) have all been drt with that 150gr. I also shot a cow elk and a spike at just over 100 yards, and they were also drt.
I can't recall ever finding the bullet (meaning pass throughs) from shots under 100 yards on deer or elk and only retrieving a couple of nicely mushroomed bullets on the offside under the hide on elk at longer distances.
That said, there seems to be a wide variety of experiences with different bullets, and I believe some of that is just a difference is personal expectation. I won't and don't have certain bullets in my reloading supplies simply because of what I've personally seen when it comes to performance on game, yet I have heard and read posts and articles from people whose opinion I respect, swear by them: and that is evident from some of the posts here and the data/posts offered.
I guess what I'm getting at is that you should find the bullet that works for you and shots well in your gun and use them.

My only problem with the ABLR's is the cost compared to other bullets like the ELDX. I have a good supply of the ABLR's in these two calibers but other calibers I've started using the ELDX which is almost 50% less expensive.

By now everyone that wants them should have been able to get some and many would have hunted with them last Fall. What can they do and what can they not do?

My impression is they are too soft for most applications - particularly in the higher power rifles unless you really are shooting long range where the 1,300 fps terminal performance spec is helpful. Since most game animals are not shot at long range that makes them kind of a niche product. I suppose they also would be good for long range practice shooting rocks and such as they have decent BCs,

They also should be good in reduced power loads for kids who are just starting out hunting. Of the flip side, they should be a disaster taking a shoulder shot on a moose at 50 yards. Kind of ironic that Nosler's latest product seems to be exactly the kind of bullet that prompted John Nosler to invent the Partition.

So what say you - those who have used them (I have only shot paper with them)? What is the verdict?
I can't speak for any but the 7mm 168 and 175 ABLR.
Have harvested 5 deer / 4 elk under 100
1 elk at 200 1 elk at 300 1 at 550 and 1 elk at 624
Most shots were shoulder or off angle shots. Only 2 elk went 75 yards. The rest of the animals Dropped in their tracks.
Very minimal meat loss (a big deal to me)
All the recovered bullets looked similar to picture I've posted.

Attachments

• IMG_0975.jpeg
    IMG_0975.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 75
I use regular 200 grn accubonds in my 30-378 Weatherby and have killed at least 15 elk ranging anywhere from under 100 yds out to 520 yds and never had to chase one yet. I'm very satisfied so far. I've been using accubonds since about 2006 in this rifle. 3-400 yds on deer in eastern Montana and none have ran away. Accuracy and performance are great! I'm using 98 grns of H1000 powder and 215 Federal primers. Love this load!

I have shot two moose and one bull elk from 42 to 190 yards. The longest went 30 yards , 3 steps , and DRT. Only problem I have is finding the bullets. 190 gr 300 WM.
I haven't had much luck finding bullets either. I've talked to Nosler directly in Bend Oregon and they claim they don't have any either. Luckily I have a couple boxes left for now.

I got notice about the 168 ablr in 7mm were available sometime last month while I was camping, Midsouth or grafs, but they were gone when I could log in to order.

Go sign up for notifications on shooters pro shop for the factory seconds. I have stockpiled enough to burn the barrel out of my 7SS and buy them at half price. I can afford to practice with them that way year round. I also don't worry about using seconds for hunting. They are literally just the wrong shade of copper.

Go sign up for notifications on shooters pro shop for the factory seconds. I have stockpiled enough to burn the barrel out of my 7SS and buy them at half price. I can afford to practice with them that way year round. I also don't worry about using seconds for hunting. They are literally just the wrong shade of copper.
Haven't seen many ablr on there recently, just the 277 165g I think. Some AB though that I have bought. Just recently some 7mm 152 F-tip to try. Description says they are E-tip made for an ammo manufacturer. Anyone know who offers ammo with 152 grain bullets?

Haven't seen many ablr on there recently, just the 277 165g I think. Some AB though that I have bought. Just recently some 7mm 152 F-tip to try. Description says they are E-tip made for an ammo manufacturer. Anyone know who offers ammo with 152 grain bullets?
With the F I would guess Federal
Looks like Scirocco® II does a 150gr black tip. Maybe these are seconds cause they are 2 gr too heavy.

Last edited:
We have shot several pigs with 165 ablr out of 6.8 Western this summer. Out of 20" xbolt SR. Penetrated through and through on shoulder shots even on pretty good size boar. Only ablr I have shot game with but lot of times cup and core bullets don't penetrate both boar shoulders of good sized boars. Seems stout enough though not supposed to be as stout as normal accubond since need to trade off some strength for long range expansion

Lou

A buddy shot one at a whitetail this year at 907 yards. Dropped like a ton of bricks. They are a top notch LR bullet, Nosler actually recommends it for over 400 yard hunting and the regular AccuBond for sub 400 yard hunting. Just pick the bullet that will suit your needs best and you won't have a problem with either.
Heavy for caliber for closer range is how we roll for the LRAB.