Fiftydriver Kirby Allen

I concur, but the new gear (rangefinders, ballistic software, bullets, powder, building materials, etc) keep it exciting.

Good point about learning and new equipment. Once I got my .338 AM to group about 12" at 2650 yards the drive slackened. I tried further but could never figure out going below speed of sound and spotting the impacts was tough. However, with my .375 AM it was fine with SMK to 2200 yds but there were few other good bullets for beyond. So Having read about 2 mile competition I ve just ordered this am some CEB Lazer and new setup to try out. Maybe also more effective for long range mulies?

Good point about learning and new equipment. Once I got my .338 AM to group about 12" at 2650 yards the drive slackened. I tried further but could never figure out going below speed of sound and spotting the impacts was tough. However, with my .375 AM it was fine with SMK to 2200 yds but there were few other good bullets for beyond. So Having read about 2 mile competition I ve just ordered this am some CEB Lazer and new setup to try out. Maybe also more effective for long range mulies?
What twist and barrel length is your .375 AM?
What CEB are you looking at?

I expect the 375 gr Lazer should do fine with the .375 AM with the 10 twist and 33" length. Would you know if the 400 gr would work? Based on the website probably not. Of interest, the 350 gr SMK is stable ie no loss of accuracy out to 2400 yds in the AM but in my Sniptac with 12 twist it losses accuracy at about 1400 yards which I guess is from not having as much twist. Still it's very accurate at shorter distances, once grouped 2.5" at 1000 yds, and is my go to for carrying for hunts. The barrel is also shorter and it's liter. I ve thought of changing the barrel to 8 twist for the 400gr but it's so accurate and not worn out so I m in a quandary. May change out also the AM for a Bartlein 8 twist. Any suggestions Bravo?

royinidaho has a .375 AM and the barrel is the same twist as yours. I believe he had problems even with the Cutting Edge 350 gr Lasers and 377 gr MT. He had mentioned that it may have to do with the bore size other than the length of bullet. He has used the 395 gr Hammer Hunters with great success. Those Lazers are long! The only ones I've shot from this rifle are the 350 Lazers (from my 10" twist with no problems), very accurate. I have an 8" twist in a longer 36" barrel to run the heavies (400-425 gr) CEB but haven't had the time to get it set up for ELR. My recent focus was to cut some weight off for an upcoming elk hunt, so the shorter 30" 1-10 twist is currently spun on.
A fella on here that goes by Snox801 has an Allen Mag and has ran the 400's I believe, don't know his barrel setup. Maybe he will chime in or you can send a PM and ask. I personally don't think the 400's will work for you, the 375...maybe? I'd be interested to know as well.

The big Cheytac based cases in the 375 are tough on bullets. It is a baring surface issue not getting enough twist on the bullet. Spinning out under the high torque launch. We have Roy's rifle and shot a 414g bullet the other day at 1300y with great success. I think we have a pretty good handle on how much baring surface for the weight of the bullet is needed. Our original 395g has always shot very well. When we started making them sleeker with less baring surface then they would want to switch ends out about 800y.

It is an interesting phenomena with the 375's. Same style of bullets in smaller calibers launched at high vel never have any trouble. It is a weight x baring surface x twist x launch speed.

Steve

The big Cheytac based cases in the 375 are tough on bullets. It is a baring surface issue not getting enough twist on the bullet. Spinning out under the high torque launch. We have Roy's rifle and shot a 414g bullet the other day at 1300y with great success. I think we have a pretty good handle on how much baring surface for the weight of the bullet is needed. Our original 395g has always shot very well. When we started making them sleeker with less baring surface then they would want to switch ends out about 800y.

It is an interesting phenomena with the 375's. Same style of bullets in smaller calibers launched at high vel never have any trouble. It is a weight x baring surface x twist x launch speed.

Steve
Thanks if I go to the heavier bullet I l probably first get a 7.5 twist barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts