Few upgrades to my new build

MOOSE39465

Hello everyone. Got a few questions I would like to ask you guys. Recently I had a custom rifle built for me and I wanted a few finishing touches put on my rifle. I would like to add a PTG bolt and DE bolt release. The rifle is a 300 wn mag that was built off a Sendero action. Everything has been trued up and ready to go. My question is I would like to buy a one peice bolt with all of the bells and whistles. Would you get one that was bigger then the factory bolt and ream your action or just get one built to factory specs? I would like a DE bolt release installed on my action also.

Hello everyone. Got a few questions I would like to ask you guys. Recently I had a custom rifle built for me and I wanted a few finishing touches put on my rifle. I would like to add a PTG bolt and DE bolt release. The rifle is a 300 wn mag that was built off a Sendero action. Everything has been trued up and ready to go. My question is I would like to buy a one peice bolt with all of the bells and whistles. Would you get one that was bigger then the factory bolt and ream your action or just get one built to factory specs? I would like a DE bolt release installed on my action also.

If the action is not very old and worn get the standard bolt. They are slightly larger (.001 to .0015)
than the factory bolt and fit very nice.

But remember , you have to head space the new bolt to your chamber. Buy a $35.00 go gauge
and check it. If it between .001 and .003 it will be fine. (Use some .001 thousandths shim stock
between the bolt face and the head space gauge, using some grease to hold the shims on.

There is no reason to go with the over sized bolt unless your action is badly worn.

J E CUSTOM

If the action is not very old and worn get the standard bolt. They are slightly larger (.001 to .0015)
than the factory bolt and fit very nice.

But remember , you have to head space the new bolt to your chamber. Buy a $35.00 go gauge
and check it. If it between .001 and .003 it will be fine. (Use some .001 thousandths shim stock
between the bolt face and the head space gauge, using some grease to hold the shims on.

There is no reason to go with the over sized bolt unless your action is badly worn.

J E CUSTOM
The action is from a 2010 Sendero 300 win mag so it should still be tight. Installing the shims behind the go gauge? Is that the same as checking it with a no go gauge? If so I have access to one through a friend of mine. I can order a go gauge the same time I order my bolt.

The action is from a 2010 Sendero 300 win mag so it should still be tight. Installing the shims behind the go gauge? Is that the same as checking it with a no go gauge? If so I have access to one through a friend of mine. I can order a go gauge the same time I order my bolt.

The go gauge is a way of determining the minimum head space.

The no gauge is for determining if you have excessive head space (If the bolt will close of the
No Go Gauge you have to much head space) and it could be dangerous or at least hard on brass.

I use the go gauge and set the head space depending on the rifles use and accuracy requirements
by placing one shim at a time increasing the measurement by .001 at a time.

If the bolt wont close on the go gauge you dont have enough head space, If it does, add shims
one at a time until it feels tight (Caution ; Don't force the bolt to close because the gauge is
heat treated and may/can damage the chamber) also remove the ejector plunger before using
ether gauge or you may get a false reading.

You don't have to remove the extractor, just the ejector.

If your not sure about any of this try to find a good smith to check it out for you.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.