Thoughts on my new build

banded

I am having a 338 Lapua custom built for me now. I am going with the following items

Rem 700 Action
Shilen Select Match 28' 1/10 twist barrel. Having barrel spiral fluted and Birdsong Coated.
Mcmillian A2 Stock
Oversize recoil lug
Badger Ordinance Tactical Lug
timney trigger
Either Leupold 6.5x20x50 LR or Zeiss 6x20x50 Conquest

My questions are this:

1. Which Muzzle Brake would you use. I have used Hollands in the past, but would like to put something different on it.

2. Which Base and Rings would you use?

Thanks

Your rifle sounds great!

For a brake, I would give Kirby Allen a shout out or call. He makes some awesome brakes. You can contact him on this board. He is very professional and builds awesome rifles. If you don't have a smith yet, I would seriosly consider him for the build.

For rings and bases, I would use Nightforce base and rings. However, Badger rings and bases and Leupold rings and bases are excellent too. You can't go wrong either way.

Wildcat

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I have a gunsmith that I am using. I am not going to say he is the best out there, but he is far better than alot of them out there.

Let me tell you that when I was developing the loads using 250mk's for my 338 Lapuas IMR 7828 worked the best. May not in your rifle but give it a try. My 338 Lapua Improved rifles like the H1000 the best but I use the 300 smk for those.

Your smith is competant, only hear good things about him....but you know who I think the best gun builder around our area is. He has a reamer....I know cause he taught me how to chamber while he was using it to build rbelote's gun. It is too bad that he is quitting building for the general public.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I have a gunsmith that I am using. I am not going to say he is the best out there, but he is far better than alot of them out there.

Oh he has a 338 Lapua reamer does he? hhmmm. very intersting

banded , is that list of products things that you already had or is that whats on order I ask simply cause I'm not a big fan of Shilen barrels As for your brake , I personaly use Nathan Dagleys
V-port brake , its a baffel style that works very well , I like it cause it just looks differant. eddybo can testify to its ability to reduce recoil.

other than that it looks like your gonna have a sweet setup. What aprt of MS are you in?

I recently had my rifle fitted with a brake from Shawn Carlock. This break is the quietest brake I've ever heard ! Most braked guns I've fired I used plugs and muffs together, but not this one. It has tamed the big 338 into a little ***** cat to shoot. Highly recommended !

Good luck.

Cheers

DUH

I am in Jackson. As far as the parts, they are already on order. I haven't been a big fan of the Shilen, but from what I have been told their 338 barrels are pretty dang good. I think the barrel is set to come in this week or first of next week. I will try it and see what it does. If it doesn't perform like I want, I will step back and punt.

I have tried to call Defensive Edge and just heard back from him. I am going to give his 1 inch brake a shot and see what I think about it...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.