Feeding issues!

Lahunter76

I sent my 300 weatherby Mark V action to a gun Smith to have it used as a donor action to be used with a 30nosler build. I also gave him a wyatts box for the 378 sized case for a center feed.
The round is loaded out to 3.69 coal and he can't get it to feed....he's asked me if I minded if he shortened it closer to SAMMI spec....not really what I wanted to hear. So am I asking too much? I am looking for any expertise or information. He's mentioned a 300 PRC but 1) I don't want it and 2) I don't understand how that would be any better then 30nos on getting it to feed correctly

thanks for any info

I sent my 300 weatherby Mark V action to a gun Smith to have it used as a donor action to be used with a 30nosler build. I also gave him a wyatts box for the 378 sized case for a center feed.
The round is loaded out to 3.69 coal and he can't get it to feed....he's asked me if I minded if he shortened it closer to SAMMI spec....not really what I wanted to hear. So am I asking too much? I am looking for any expertise or information. He's mentioned a 300 PRC but 1) I don't want it and 2) I don't understand how that would be any better then 30nos on getting it to feed correctly

thanks for any info
Think about changing or modifying the follower in the magazine. The cartridge needs to come out at a different chambering angle due to the base, rim, and diameter differences of the two cartridges. Just my 0.02

thanks for any info
Not familiar with the caliber you are using but I had similar issues when I had my 6.5 x 284 assembled it does use a box mag but took a fair amount of tuning the lips on the mag to get the angle and the heights of the next round to be loaded in the proper position

Change out to 300RUM box. Nosler and RUM are same diameter case and RUM is 3.6 OAL. Worked on my 28 Nosler build but on a M700. Presently building a 26 Nosler on another Remington doner and having to use HS Precision DBM since this doner is a 300WM. Having to machine the feed lips on this one. The 28 was built on a RUM doner.

Change out to 300RUM box. Nosler and RUM are same diameter case and RUM is 3.6 OAL. Worked on my 28 Nosler build but on a M700. Presently building a 26 Nosler on another Remington doner and having to use HS Precision DBM since this doner is a 300WM. Having to machine the feed lips on this one. The 28 was built on a RUM doner.
Yes if I ever do this again.....it will be with a r700 or a Tika action or a custom action....price isn't much different. The main issue is Smith are not familiar with the Mark V actions, but it's what I had :(

I was going to call my smith Monday and suggest using the offset 300roy box.

thanks for the information!

"Opening up" a .300Win Mag/7mmRem Mag 700 to feed the UMs or Noslers isn't too big of a problem, just a bit time consuming. Add Wyatts' UM box and use the Rem Mag follower and spring and there you have the BDL . Have done it countless times! Original Remington made UM mag boxes might be a rarity right now, but the Wyatts UM box works just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.