Federal Punch .22 Self-Defense Ammo???

Hey, guys not sure where to post this so I'll start here. I think I mentioned Federal Punch .22 LR self-defense ammo, really good stuff, especially out of my Walther PP with quite a little fireball for a four-inch barrel, but... functioning flawlessly... I digress... so I'm at the range trying a few different rim fire .22 loads through my Walther PP, I started with Punch nickel case ammo... super accurate at 25 yards from my Walther PP. I then ran some Federal copper HP brass cases, then some CCI copper also brass cases which also shot great with no malfunctions. So, I grab some lead with the brass cases also CCIs, same thing great stuff, the PP liked it all. So, I went back to the Ferdal Punnch because that's what I'd carry in it, WOW!... one failure after another, wouldn't feed and wouldn't eject when it did feed or when loading them one at a time into the chamber the PP couldn't pull the cases out of the chamber, the extractor would come right off the rim, I had to use a dental pick to pull them out of the chamber... So, I stripped it down and went through everything I thought might be the problem, "nothing" darn! Back together again, and I fired it again, it just wouldn't work... every shot was nothing but malfunctions. I sat there for about 20 minutes thinking about it, I looked down where some spent cases were, those of brass CCI, Federal, and nickel Federal Punch cases... and BAM! it hit me.
When the PP was clean only running Federal Punch it ran perfectly, but like a .357 Mag revolver when shooting .38 Spl lead rounds in it they leave a lead & residue ring in the cylinder, and if you load and fire .357 Mag again, after the .38 Spl the cases with lead bullets the .357 Mags stick in the cylinder the .357 Mag case being longer length at 1.29" inches and the .38 Spl shorter being 1.155" inches, by expands against the lead residue & ring after which you'd have to beat the cylinder ejector open... Back in the LEO days with wheel guns, this was something you thought about all the time and you kept your service weapon clean, or... you just might pay the price in a shootout on the first reload under fire. Well, as I closely inspected the nickel Punch cartridge case it seemed much longer than the brass long rifle cartridge case, so they'd stick in the chamber (residue & lead ring) left from the lead .22 lr's and the extractor couldn't pull them out of the chamber. So if you use the Federal Punch .22s in a .22 rl for self-defense as long as it's a very clean weapon/chamber I don't see any real problem, but... if it's not a clean chamber I wouldn't recommend that round at all. Don't get me wrong that Federal Punch ammo is super accurate and hit hard for a .22 lr

Ok... the difference;
Federal Punch case 0.6845"
Long Rifle case 0.5850"
The def 0.1045"

Just my 0.2 Cheers.

Attachments

• 22 Punch 2.jpg
    22 Punch 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 22 Punch 3.jpg
    22 Punch 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 22 Punch 4.jpg
    22 Punch 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 22 Punch 1.jpg
    22 Punch 1.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 42
OP, thanks for posting. Good info.

Related subject, I love the 22WRM Punch in my BUG, a 351 PD. There is even a noticeable difference in the recoil compared to other offerings.
Yes, that Federal Punch ammo has a very noticeable recoil push and muzzle flash from shorter handguns. Cheers

Sort of the same deal as CCI Stingers then.
Could be, but these Federal Punch rounds seem to have a lot more pressure, I've used Stingers and lead long rifle ammo together and never seemed to have a problem, but... with the Stringers it could? depending on the weapon and its chamber spec I guess.?? Cheers