long range 22 ammo

Markbrx

What ammo are you shooting for 100yds+ steel shooting? I have been out of rimfire shoot for a while, I see some of the stuff I was using is no longer made.
Mark Schronce

Mark
we use american eagle for all of our 22 shooting its not the fancy high dollar stuff but its consistant shooting, My buddy can hit 12in steel at 300 yards with mil dots
Im sure there is no poop left when it gets there but it does get there
retiredcpo

Federal bulk ammo does great for 70-80% of your shots, but you will get 20-30% that will fly all over the place. Shooting squirrels I've had great luck at up to 200 yards using CCI Stingers. I'm getting ready to order some different match loads, some subsonic ammo, and different types of hypervelocity ammo to see if there is a real difference in how well they group at 200 yards.

ClayneB does a ton of long range shoots with his 22 and he seems to prefer the Blazer stuff.

CCI Velocitor is the best I have found. Much better in high winds at distance than CCI Stinger. Carries much more energy past 100 yards. I like Stinger 100 yards or less, prefer Velocitor beyond 100 yards.

I've messed around with several different kinds of ammo, with good results coming from Wolf, Winchester & Remington sub-sonic. I find my favorite being CCI Mini-Mag HP though. A couple of my friends & I shoot 200 yds almost every weekend, weather permiting. Rim fire is a lot of fun & teaches good wind reading & trigger control, along with the other things that are important to rifle shooting.

I shoot about anything, but now CCI 40gr Blazers is what I'm shooting. Last time I went out I got a 300 yard hit on my 4 inch target; I hit the torso at will. So far, they seem to be consistent.

Some friends & I used the CCI standard velocity 40gr round nose to shoot smallbore sillouette last year. It did fine. I think we are going to try the federal automatch this year & see how it does.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.