22 LR Federal Lightning ammo

Hunter66654

I have a brick of 22LR Federal Lightning ammo. These bullets are not coated (as those of you who have used them know). What can I expect regarding lead build up in my barrels any other bad outcomes from these lead bullets compared to coated bullets? I have a Smith & Wesson pistol, and a Marlin leaver action to shoot them in.

I've been running these through my target 10/22 since I built it with great success. I have not seen any better or worse lead buildup between these and the wolf match stuff. The federal stuff gives me the same accuracy and performance of the wolf match at $1.77/ box versus $5.70/ box for the wolf stuff. Also the federal champion and federal lightning appears to be the same thing. Hope this helps.

Interesting observation in as much as I shoot Wolf Match Extra in my indoor pistol league (I have a very tricked out Ruger Stainless Bull Barreled Hunter with every Volquartsen part you can get and then some...

I also have a 10-22 courtesy of Kidd and Volquartsen and both prefer Wolf over Federal and Aqulia over Wolf, especially the Hyper Velocity Aqulia (that I don't believe is available anymore) but I have about 5000 rounds of. They are Eley primed just like the Wolf.

I actually haven't bought any 22's in 2 years. I got a deal on Match Extra's about 3 years ago and bought 2 cartons with 10- 500 round bricks in each carton. Looking back, I tjhought I was nuts but now, with the scarcity of 22's. I did the right thing.

Between the Federals and the Agulia's and the Wolf, I have enough to last me until I can't shoot anymore.

Wish I could say that for my big calibers.....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.