Fed Primers vs W-W primers

Iron Worker

Ran out of Federal Large Rifle primers,so did Sportsmens Warehouse here in Reno. So I bought W-W LR . With Fed its my known coyote load . I wonder if any difference with W-W primers ?

Only your individual barrel knows if it'll like them. I know for a fact that the Win primers seat very much more easily, so if your brasss has been fired a few times you may have trouble keeping 'em in.
Anyway, I recently did a primer test with my best load. The reason I did the test was my barrel didn't seem to like 210m or 215m or Retumbo, so I had to try something else and a fellow member suggested the primer test.

Attachments

• 20161016_115743.jpg
    20161016_115743.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 156
At one time (70's) Federal made WW primers under contract. My cousin in law worked for Federal on that production line. But much like Detroit who knows who makes what. Federal is my goto but my experience with WW is good. Remington 9 1/2 LRM have delivered good loads too. Try them and see. Always nice to have an alternative.

KB

I'm working up a load for my 28 Nosler with Reloader 33 and I tried Fed215M, CCI 250 and WLRM primers. My rifle likes the WLRM primers. Accuracy and velocity were different for each brand tested so you will need to test in your rifle as well. One thing I did notice was that the WLRM seemed to have more of a push for recoil while the other two primers had a much sharper snap to the recoil. Just my experience. As always, drop your powder charge and work your way up. Good luck

I have found that Win LR primers produce results in terms of accuracy and velocity that are virtually identical to Federal 210 and 210M primers in my 308, 30-06, and 308 using Varget, H4831sc, IMR4350, and R15.

How much should you drop your charge by when trying new primers? Do you find that a complete load work up is necessary after switching to a new primer?

How much should you drop your charge by when trying new primers? Do you find that a complete load work up is necessary after switching to a new primer?
I generally do not change my charge when switching between Fed 210's and Winchester LR primers unless I'm at the ragged edge of the pressure range...which is rare. I do back off a grain or more if I'm switching from standard to magnum primers.

YMMV! Last year I was playing around with different primers with same powder charge during my .300 WSM and 215 Berger load development. Nothing scientific but here are my initial as-is results ...

1%20of%206_zps1pnobipu.jpg

PRIMERS_zpstij017tm.jpg

CCI250 has been my go to primer followed by 215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M for my magnums but the 9 1/2 M really surprised me. I was able to get the ES and SD in single digit after the refinement and yielded a 4x4 Montana muley buck at 425 yards on its first outing.

CCI250 has been my go to primer followed by 215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M for my magnums but the 9 1/2 M really surprised me. I was able to get the ES and SD in single digit after the refinement and yielded a 4x4 Montana muley buck at 425 yards on its first outing.

CCI is my main primer with WIN being my backup's.

YMMV! Last year I was playing around with different primers with same powder charge during my .300 WSM and 215 Berger load development. Nothing scientific but here are my initial as-is results ...

1%20of%206_zps1pnobipu.jpg

PRIMERS_zpstij017tm.jpg

Interesting that MV's were so close. Thanks!

Iron Worker,

I heard the hottest primer available is the Federal 215 Magnum for large rifles. Most of my shooting is with large rifle cases. I always work up a load with this primer so I don't have to back off to test the other primers. I work up to pressure, determine over all length, and then load of some with different primers and spend the day at the range.

If a couple are promising I load them up and verify the next day. I have no loyalty to the mark. Whatever works in that rifle is what is loaded in that rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.