Federal 215 magnum primers vs. WLRM primers

jammer300

I picked up a box of federal 215 magnum primers yesterday to give them a try in my 300 winmag. I have been working with WLRM primers for my load developments and they have been doing pretty well but I can't help but tinker with things and try to improve it. How do the Federal 215 magnum primers compare to the WLRM primers? Are they hotter burning? Thanks.

Somebody here had a thread not long ago with a chart showing the difference in the primers. It may have been Fenix. If I remember correctly the Winchesters are a bit hotter.

Steve

I picked up a box of federal 215 magnum primers yesterday to give them a try in my 300 winmag. I have been working with WLRM primers for my load developments and they have been doing pretty well but I can't help but tinker with things and try to improve it. How do the Federal 215 magnum primers compare to the WLRM primers? Are they hotter burning? Thanks.

These 2 primers are what I run in all my loads.
I run the exact same loads when testing with both side by side, there is ALWAYS a preferred primer, no one bullet/powder/primer combo will always work.
I used to also try CCI, but, results with them were always lacking.
My Pressure Trace suggests my batch of WLRM primers are hotter than the batch of FED215 primers.
These results are NOT set in stone, cause, I had an older batch of FED215 that were hotter than my current lot WLRM.

Cheers.
gun)

My Pressure Trace suggests my batch of WLRM primers are hotter than the batch of FED215 primers.
These results are NOT set in stone, cause, I had an older batch of FED215 that were hotter than my current lot WLRM.

Cheers.
gun)

+1 from lot to lot either can be the "hottest".

Thanks guys. I tried to do a side by side comparison this past weekend with the WLRM's and Remington 9 1/2 magnums, but after having primers not ignite on my first three cartridges loaded with the 9 1/2's, I just gave up on them. Made me feel that I can't trust them.

There are only 2 brands of primers i use...Federal & CCI. My precision loads use Federal Match, and for anything I load in large volumes (semi-autos or handguns) or for fire-forming cases, I use the CCI's. But I have loads worked up with both Federal and CCI primers for most of my precision and hunting rifles just incase I can only find one or the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.