Fed GM215M Primers

I gave up several months ago. I was able to get a good supply of Federal 215 standard magnum primers. I have used them in three different caliber LR loads that were developed with the Gold Medal match grade 215's. There was absolutely no difference in accuracy, ES, or velocity using the standard magnum primers. My LR loads are developed to an have ES of 12 FPS or less. Also found that in my 260, 308, and 6.5x284 loads that Winchester LR primers will produce comparable velocity, ES, and accuracy as Federal 210M's. Several of my shooting buddies have had the same results. It seems like Federal has checked out of the reloading business.
+1... I usually haven't noticed any difference at all between match and regular for a certain primer flavor. Sometimes one is grape though and the other is cherry or mint (the color is different:D). Seat uniformly and if you really feel like burning time sort by height and weight.

I'm in Colorado near Denver and I have not found any GM215M's in any of the local gun shops. I look online every day at powdervalley, cabelas, midway, and use ammoseek. nothing. I'm also getting the impression that Federal has stopped making them.

I have about 800 left and that should get me through maybe the next 12-18 months, but then what? I'm hoping they become available soon.

I found this site through just a google search:

HTML:
http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/fdgm215m.htm

5 boxes of 1000 for $209 plus hazmat fees, and they appear to be in stock. I don't want to spend $235 for 5000 primers, but maybe somebody here wants to. I don't even have any friends that reload that I could split the order with either.

I've never heard of this website so don't know if it's legit ...

I found this site through just a google search:

HTML:
http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/fdgm215m.htm
5 boxes of 1000 for $209 plus hazmat fees, and they appear to be in stock. I don't want to spend $235 for 5000 primers, but maybe somebody here wants to. I don't even have any friends that reload that I could split the order with either.

I've never heard of this website so don't know if it's legit ...

Thanks, but on there checkout page is says almost everything is on backorder.

Lohman arms website is completely useless. I told them so.

The website should just have their phone number and in large letters "just freakin call us with your shopping list."

Just bought 1K of the regular #215's at Sportsman's Warehouse in Federal Way WA for just a tad under $40 two weeks ago. They had Retumbo on the shelf that same day- double score! When the primers started showing up last June was the last time I saw the Match version.

The Match primers are quality assured, much like the difference between Grade 8 and Grade 5 bolts, same specs but the Grade 8 hardware is a traceable production lot with more testing for quality assurance. Grade 8 and Grade 5 bolts have the same tensile strength. Between match grade and regular primers there is no difference in primer function or you would have to develop new loads to change from one to the other.

I have never found measured difference in ammo performance switching from regular to match grade primers. But for long term storage ammo I prefer to have the extra QA checks that the match primers go through. If I'm going to put it away I want the very best components in the ammo.

KB

I don't think you will find much difference between 215 and 215M. They just cost more. I used to shoot benchrest and the joke was that on a certain day they ran the match primers and they were packaged in the appropriate box. Don't know if it is true.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.