Fed. 215 match mag primers

WYO300RUM

I'm wondering why I don't see anybody mentioning they use Fed. Match (Gold Medal) mag primers in their loads. I've only seen once that I recall. I've always wondered if they burn as hot as regular 215's ? I was told long ago that the purple frosting on the regular 215 is for burning hotter ? Don't know . I've been using the match mag primers instead of reg. 215 for a few years now.
Thanks ahead for input.

M is match not magnum.

A 215 is the same as a 215M.
Much like a 210 & 210M. It's rumored that the "M" comes from the line (at the plant) that has the best consistency record.

M is match not magnum.

Much like a 210 & 210M. It's rumored that the "M" comes from the line (at the plant) that has the best consistency record.
Thanks . Thats good to hear. Im wondering what the purple stuff is that's on the 215 ? It's not on the match 215.

Every #215 and GM215M primer I've ever had has looked EXACTLY the same, inside and out.
Same color!
Not mine. The GM 215 match have no purple coating on them . I have 2 1000 boxes. Same. The 215 M have had to purple coating on them since I can remember. I can try to upload a pic if you want.

WYO, per numerous posts on this forum over the years a vast majority have reported no detectable differences in the performance between the Federal 215 and the 215M primers regardless of color.

M is match not magnum.

"M" was originally for military grade - good marketing started calling it match when it became available to the general public. To meet "Military" grade the "M" primers get one more visual inspection before packaging over the regular primers. There is no difference in the two primers other than that one extra inspection.

"M" was originally for military grade - good marketing started calling it match when it became available to the general public. To meet "Military" grade the "M" primers get one more visual inspection before packaging over the regular primers. There is no difference in the two primers other than that one extra inspection.
Goid news . Thanks

I'm wondering why I don't see anybody mentioning they use Fed. Match (Gold Medal) mag primers in their loads. I've only seen once that I recall. I've always wondered if they burn as hot as regular 215's ? I was told long ago that the purple frosting on the regular 215 is for burning hotter ? Don't know . I've been using the match mag primers instead of reg. 215 for a few years now.
Thanks ahead for input.
All that i reload with are 210m or 215 m.

WYO, per numerous posts on this forum over the years a vast majority have reported no detectable differences in the performance between the Federal 215 and the 215M primers regardless of color.

I use regular and match 215's. I always try to purchase 215M when I can but I cannot tell the difference between the two primers. I run the 215's in 270 WSM, 300 RUM and 338 LM.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts